Every year, as the leaves fall from the trees, I notice the same fall trends—ranging from fashion choices to pumpkin recipes—intensifying more and more. College students use their aggressive seasonal spirit to competitively adopt certain trends and subject everyone around them to how trendy they are in every way, shape and form. 

As “hot girl summer” officially comes to an end this week, let’s take a closer look at what you can anticipate in its place for the weeks to come:

1. Puffy vests

You never know when you’re walking down Commonwealth Avenue and you might drown at any given second. It would also appear that the perceived drowning hazard is only a legitimate concern between the months of September and November, since that’s the window of time during which this fashion statement makes the cut in peoples’ wardrobes. So have fun in your life preserver for the next few months.

2. Fall-scented candles

I find it fascinating that certain smells evoke a “sense of fall” in our brains and that candle companies have capitalized off of sensory interactions with warm vanilla or chai spice. I personally enjoy these smells year round — it’s not like either of them hibernate in the winter. If something smells good, don’t limit yourself to one season of it. 

3. Instagram posts about apple orchards

We get it. You plucked apples from a tree and looked cute doing it. Next.

4. Canada Goose or Patagonia

Because who doesn’t want to be prepared for an Antarctic hike at all times? Not only that, you’re prepared for a hike because you spent upwards of $1000 on a coat.

5. Riding boots

You never know when you’re going to have to ride a horse. 

6. Target in general

Target is very smart in how it markets Halloween products because everything looks affordable and tempting, but it all adds up. An alarming amount of people I know will swap out their normal throw pillows to make their studio apartment look festive for fall, tacking on a bunch of other little decorations which accompany said pillows in storage for 10 and a half months of the year. Do you really need that M&M bowl with a glittery skeleton decal on it in addition to a “Trick or Treat” embroidered pillow? Chill out. This brings me to my next point:

7. Pastel or glittery pumpkins

Pumpkins are orange. End of story.

8. Sexy Halloween costumes

This one also writes itself. 

9. Johnny Depp hats 

When I see girls wearing these hats, I assume one of three things: that they are the most wanted bandit in the Wild West, that they are a Smooth Criminal or want to be Johnny Depp. I couldn’t think of any other way to describe wide brimmed hats, but a few years ago, they entered basic autumn’s repertoire and my first thought was Johnny Depp, when he’s not in character, so it stuck. And I have not been able to unsee that.

10. Pumpkin flavoring

Broaching this subject leaves me feeling slightly conflicted because I am absolutely a fan of the Pumpkin Spice Latte, or PSL. However, I am not a fan of the culture surrounding it. Part of me is sick and tired of the people who fetishize pumpkin flavor season, but I’m also annoyed with those, like myself, who make disliking it part of their personality. Yes, the hype gets old, but the flavor does not. And unlike scented candles, in my opinion, it is immoral to drink a PSL or eat pumpkin bread during any other time of the year. Make of that what you will.

Happy fall, everybody!