By Alia Al-Chalabi

Have you ever seen those videos where somebody pulls apart a cookie and there is a perfect, gooey marshmallow inside? I’m about to tell you how to make those, but way better and way tastier. 

Ingredients

• 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Utensils 

• Measuring cups
  • Parchment paper
  • Cookie sheet
  • Kitchen Aid, hand mixer, or mix by hand 

Assembly 

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
  • Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda), lightly mix together with a fork and set aside.
  • In a larger bowl, mix the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar together. Use a fork to press the butter into small clumps, but do not microwave it. For ease, leave the butter out until it reaches room temperature. You’re done mixing when the butter and sugar are completely combined and no visible butter clumps remain. 
  • In the butter and sugar mixture, add eggs one at a time. It should be smooth and glossy at this stage. 
  • Add in vanilla extract. Once it is mixed in, add dry ingredients a few tablespoons at a time to avoid a flour-y mess. It should be glossy, and a little tacky, but not sticky. It should hold its shape. If it doesn’t, add more flour. 
  • Chill for at least one hour. Wrap in parchment paper to avoid film forming around dough or sticking to the plate. 
  • Take a bag of marshmallows and cut them in half while dough is resting. Then, take the dough in your hand and form around the marshmallow until the edges are flat and the center is slightly puffy (where the marshmallow is). Place on parchment paper, laid out over a cookie sheet. You may need to bake in multiple batches, depending on the size of your cookie. 
  • Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Take the cookies out, use two spoons to smush together each side of the cookie to get a textured effect. 
  • Let sit for at least 20 minutes before eating. 
  • Enjoy the oo-ey gooey goodness!