By Ryan LaRosa

Boston is home to a wide variety of specialty coffee shops and roasters. In recent years, the scene has grown across the city, with some older shops expanding to multiple locations and new shops popping up quickly. Here at Boston University, Starbucks is a mainstay, with many locations across campus. While convenient, there’s so much more to coffee than Starbucks. Whenever you have a second, take the opportunity to venture away from campus and enjoy one of Boston’s many great coffee shops.

What if you could drink a great cup of coffee and know that all the proceeds from your purchase benefit a local charity? The Well Coffee House does exactly that. With two locations, one 92-square-foot counter service in South Station, and one larger location on State Street, the Well Coffee House aims to do much more than simply brew great coffee. 

Founded by Pastor Kevin Scott, Pastor Matt Love and their wives, Christy and Julie, in January 2014, the coffee house contributes its proceeds to a different local nonprofit each month. These nonprofits have included Pine Street Inn, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston, Rosie’s Place and Cradles to Crayons. 

Beyond simply donating proceeds to each nonprofit, the Well Coffee House sheds light on their mission and helps to spread awareness of great local nonprofits helping to build a better community here in Boston. The Well Coffee House is a venture started through The Church @ the Well, a non-denominational church located in Boston. The coffee shops are staffed and run entirely with volunteers. 

This summer, I had the pleasure of stopping by the South Station location. The entire experience from start to finish was fantastic. The barista who made my espresso took the time to tell me about the mission of the coffee shop and the nonprofit of the month. The espresso was smooth, roasty and delicious and I felt a clear personal touch. 

This location, though small, offers a full array of coffees and espresso-based drinks. They use beans from Crimson Cup, an Ohio roaster with Harvard roots. The quality of their brew is right up there with any of the other specialty coffee shops in town. The State Street location offers an expanded menu with baked goods. The menu at both locations includes drip coffee, a range of loose leaf tea options, chai and handcrafted espresso drinks. 

The Well Coffee House provides a first-class coffee house experience that does so much more than simply turn a profit on every cup you buy. It’s a place you can feel good about going to often. Both of their locations compete with a slew of nearby competitors run by international corporations that have little to no stake in the local community. I see no reason not to walk right by its competition, straight to the Well Coffee House for a superior product, experience and purpose.