By Victoria Lara

With summer quickly approaching and with many having plenty of time to recover from this draining semester, this break is a perfect time to catch up on recent films and watch some upcoming releases. Here are five soon-to-be-released summer movies that look promising.

“Long Shot”

If one was to think of a perfect pair, it is likely that Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron are not the first to come to mind. In the upcoming movie “Long Shot,” Theron, portraying a presidential candidate, and Rogen, playing a disheveled speechwriter, team up to build up Theron’s campaign.

This premise of the plot is intriguing due to its modern take on the classic romantic comedy by straying from the traditional roles of the powerful male and weak female. With the upcoming U.S. presidential election just a year away, this movie is not only relevant, but also unique and progressive.

“Dark Phoenix”

With the recent “Avengers: Endgame” coming out in theaters, many are drained from the emotional rollercoaster that superhero movies have become. Nonetheless, for those who want to fit in more action this summer, Marvel’s “Dark Phoenix” may be the perfect choice.

The latest film of the “X-Men” series, “Dark Phoenix” seems like it tackles the essential question of good versus evil, just on a much larger scale.

The powerful Dark Phoenix experiences an unfortunate accident that shifts her moral compass, leading her to turn on her former friends and seek out havoc. With a great cast and interesting plot, one can probably expect “Dark Phoenix” to be an entertaining, action-packed film.

“Toy Story 4”

Similar to Marvel’s many releases, Disney also has many movies lined up to hit theaters over the summer. From “Aladdin” to “The Lion King,” audiences have been awaiting the new live-action adaptations that have updated the beloved classics.

However, audiences may prefer a more classic take on the Disney films with the continuation of the “Toy Story” series. Generations that have grown up following this saga can watch “Toy Story 4” in June. One can expect to see more of the dynamic duo of Woody and Buzz Lightyear, in addition to some new characters that keep the film fresh for audiences.  

“The Dead Don’t Die”

Shifting from family-friendly films to ones geared toward adult audiences only, there’s Jim Jarmusch’s “The Dead Don’t Die.” While the zombie trope has been done time and time again, with a cast as strong as the one for this film, many people have expressed they cannot wait to see it.

This movie managed to open up for one of the most acclaimed film festivals of all time, Cannes Film Festival, even with its focus on the fantasy-horror genre. Evidently, while some may expect a mindless zombie movie, one can likely expect to be surprised by the film’s artistry and plot.

“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”

Debatably one of the most anticipated movies of the summer is Quentin Tarantino’s ninth film, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.” This star-studded movie takes place in the 1960s, particularly dealing with the murder of Sharon Tate at the hands of Charles Manson’s cult, the Manson Family.

While Tarantino is no stranger to tackling difficult subject matters, from slavery in “Django Unchained” to the Holocaust in “Inglourious Basterds,” audiences await how he takes a comedic spin on such a serious tragedy. Nonetheless, the director has previously mentioned he will only direct 10 movies in his career, and fans cannot wait to see how his penultimate work pans out.

With the semester coming to a close, students are likely starting to see how they will fill up their days free from homework and exams. With a couple months of downtime, these movies are likely to leave students wanting a longer break to keep catching up on more highly-awaited films.