When it comes to romance movies, there is a very limited selection within the genre that isn’t sexist, racist or any of the other “ists.” Despite the struggle to enjoy most of the films in the rom-com department, I find three particular films guilt-free:

“The Big Sick”

Kumail (Kumail Nanjiani) and Emily (Zoe Kazan)

Something I absolutely love about “The Big Sick” is how it mimics those real-life, too-ridiculous-to-believe stories you hear from friends of friends. “The Big Sick” is actually one of those stories

From the cultural challenges the protagonist Kumail undergoes with his strict Pakistani family to the medical complications his love interest Emily experiences, the story is so crazy that it has to be real.

But the best part of this love story is the authenticity of Kumail and Emily’s relationship. They bicker and break up and love and forgive in ways that you never really see on the big screen. It makes you believe that something that good, that wonderful, is out there. And it is — the story is based on Kumail Nanjiani and Emily Gordon’s real-life love story, and the movie is written by them, too!

“Crazy Rich Asians”

In my opinion, “Crazy Rich Asians” has revived the rom-com genre to best fit this diverse and inclusive era that most of us are living in. Its all-Asian cast proves that actors of color are equipped to be a face and, quite frankly, THE face of entertainment.

Plus, you can’t deny how stunning everything about the movie is. The set decorations, the costumes, the passion between Rachel and Nick — it all made us go, “wow.” And it presented audiences with the most relatable obstacle in love: family.

Whether or not you have an Eleanor-esque (Nick’s traditional mother) roadblock in your way, you can empathize with and celebrate how the love story turns out.

Nick Robinson and Katherine Langford who play best friends Simon and Leah (respectively) in an interview

“Love, Simon”

This movie is so important to a variety of diverse communities and their representation in the media. It is a coming out, coming-of-age story portraying how confusing the journey to finding your true identity can be. And unlike most rom-coms that usually include supporting characters for extra sass or resistance, “Love, Simon” proved that supportive friends are also part of your love story.

The film also portrays a very pure and normal interracial relationship between our beloved Simon and Bram, who is played by the openly queer actor Keiynan Lonsdale. Overall, it was a an inclusive film that anyone — parent, sibling, friend, human — can relate to and enjoy.