Michal Shvimer

We’re a year-and-a-half away from the Democratic National Convention nominating a Democratic candidate, but the 2020 presidential race is already shaping up to be a bloodbath.

Assuming that the Democratic nominee will be going up against President Donald Trump, the stakes are high for Democrats to select a powerful candidate, capable of beating the controversial president — this time, not just by popular vote.

Much like the 2018 midterm elections, more women than ever are seeking office. As of now, four out of the seven declared Democratic candidates are women.

Let’s take a closer look at each of the women running for office.

1. Tulsi Gabbard

This 37-year-old Hawaiian congresswoman has made U.S. history in three major ways. She is the first Samoan-American member and the first Hindu member of the U.S. House of Representatives, and she was the youngest woman to be elected to a state legislature when she was elected to the Hawaii State Legislature at just 21 years old.

Although previously holding more socially conservative views, she changed her policies throughout her career to support abortion rights and endorse same-sex marriage and medicare for all.

Gabbard is outspoken about her criticism toward U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East, where she has served two tours for the Hawaii Army National Guard, becoming the first state official to voluntarily step down from office to serve in a war zone.  

1. Kirsten Gillibrand

This protege of Hillary Clinton had a long legal career turned political career when she secured a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives in 2007. 

As a lawyer in New York, she was able to take on pro-bono cases defending abused women seeking safe housing conditions, become the leader of the Women’s Leadership Forum — a program of the Democratic National Committee — and serve as special counsel to the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development during the Clinton administration.

Inspired by Hillary Clinton’s speech as first lady, Gillibrand began to work on Hillary’s 2000 U.S. Senate campaign and eventually succeeded her as one of New York’s senators in 2009.

In her senatorial career, Gillibrand has shifted away from more conservative positions on gun control and immigration, but she has always strongly advocated against sexual misconduct and prioritizes gender equality as a presidential candidate.

1. Elizabeth Warren

The 69-year-old Massachusetts Senator is still persisting. Following her 30-year career as a law professor, 20 years of which were spent at Harvard Law, Warren became known as a champion of the middle class for dedicating her political career to fighting bankruptcy and financial debt, which she has
prioritized as top issues in her presidential candidacy.

Her history in the fight against financial pressures began after the 2008 financial crisis as chair of the Congressional Oversight Panel for the Troubled Asset Relief Program.

In 2013, she assumed office as a Massachusetts senator, and in 2017, became vice chair of the Senate Democratic Caucus. The controversy surrounding her Native American heritage may hinder her popularity, but her qualifications speak for themselves.

1. Kamala Harris

As a newbie in the Senate, having held the office since 2017, Harris has made some big waves in during the Trump administration. Her career began in the Alameda County District Attorney’s office, and from 2004–11, she served as the District Attorney for the city and county of San Francisco.

From 2011–17, Harris served as the Attorney General of California, the first African-American and first woman to serve in that office. However, some controversy has surrounded Harris about her history as a DA and AG in the Golden State.

In the state of California, Harris protected the Affordable Care Act, which aligns with her passion for universal healthcare coupled with raising wages and expanding child care access for the working class.

Is 2020 the year the United States elects a woman for president, and if it is, will it be one of these four?