Michal Shvimer

The world is truly a mysterious place. The more answers we get, the more questions we have. Take me back to when the earth was flat! To make sense of everything we can’t make sense of, some very paranoid people with a lot of time on their hands have written conspiracy theories galore to keep us intrigued, anxious and curious.

Here are the top five conspiracies I’m still wrapping my brain around:

1. UFO Crash in Roswell, New Mexico

“UFO sighting”

Roswell isn’t just my favorite late 90s–early 2000s TV show. It’s also the small city in New Mexico where an alleged alien crash took place. The UFO crash brought up many theories of extraterrestrial life.

Area 51, a U.S. Air Force facility, is said to be the hub of testing experimental aircraft, but we can’t know for sure because all research that takes place in the facility is officially “Top Secret.”

1. Global Warming

Rising sea levels, who? Our president, Donald J. Trump, is actually one of the leading conspiracists surrounding global warming. The long-term rise in Earth’s average temperature may be a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese, or it may not be.

Many theories suggest that global warming was invented for economic or partisan
reasons. All I know is, we may have enough evidence to start trading in our Canada Goose coats for a breezy windbreaker.

1. Amelia Earhart’s disappearance

Amelia Earhart, 1937, aged 39

We managed to make a movie about her in 2009, but have yet to figure out where the heck her plane went! Amelia Earhart was the first woman and second person to fly solo nonstop across the Atlantic, but she was also the first pilot to disappear 22,000 miles into her 29,000 mile flight.

Bones found in 1940 on Nikumaroro Island might have belonged to her, and in 2018, anthropologist Richard Jantz said in an NBC article, “I think we have pretty good evidence that it’s her.” Shark attack, tampered plane or suicide flight, we are far from knowing.

1. JonBenét Ramsey

Ramsey house

Not your typical “Toddlers and Tiaras” story. This American pageant queen was killed in her family’s home in 1996 and a handwritten ransom note was found in the house. JB’s father discovered her body in the basement hours after she was reported missing, on Christmas Day, no less. 

Her death was reported as a homicide. Recently, a convicted pedophile confessed to killing JonBenét, even though her parents were always suspected in the six-year-old’s death. While some conspiracists suggest that pop singer Katy Perry is actually the deceased pageant queen, the murder case is still open today.

1. Simulation Theory

This theory is big-time. The simulation theory is a philosophical argument which proposes that all of reality, the Earth and universe included, is an artificial simulation. Pass my inhaler, please. Essentially, we humans are just Sims in some other power’s messed-up Sims game.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it, and even if I don’t, the simulation theory is a perfect explanation for the inexplicable. When in doubt, just remember, we’re living in a computer.

I encourage you all to look into these in depth, but beware the conspiracy quicksand. Don’t get too sucked in.