By Anju Miura

Everybody loves Saturday. You don’t need to set an alarm, wake up early, feel in a rush to get to class or skip lunch rushing around despite a rumbling in your stomach.

Although I spend the week looking forward to and planning what to do on weekends, I often end up idling away at my apartment on Saturday, restoring the energy from the lack of sleep I got during the week.

The two beloved weekend days fly by so fast that I often doubt that time is equally distributed each day of the week — I start to really believe days are shorter on weekends and longer on weekdays.

And then it comes. It’s the start of a long week of school and work: we all hate Monday.

It reminds us the reality of college life, projects and exams — we tend to think Monday is the worst day of the week.

However, Steve Duck, a professor at Iowa University, discovered that people are more likely to argue on Wednesday as opposed to our assumption that Monday is when we’re at our worst.

After relaxing over the weekend, we have restored energy and enthusiasm come Monday. By Wednesday, however, we are stressed out over the workload of the last couple days and are overwhelmed at the prospect of only being halfway through the week.

Thus, we tend to project our frustration upon others and argue.

Peter Dodds and Christopher Danforth, professors at the University of Vermont, also found we are most unhappy on Wednesday by analyzing our collective happiness through our online activity.

After two days of the daily grind, my memories of the weekend gradually fade, and my sudden realization of “it’s still Wednesday,” brings on more exhaustion.

The scariest member of the Addams family is Wednesday. Coincidence? Probably not.

So, maybe we need to rethink our stance on Monday and turn our attention to the real culprit of weekday sadness: the dreaded Wednesday.