By Krystle Boyajian

I love Christmas. Like, I really love it. Like, I watched “Elf” and decorated my family’s Christmas tree nine days after Halloween kind of love it. Like, I gave my dogs a mini-Christmas tree last weekend, and I already have dibs on hosting Christmas at my house when I’m older. My sister can have Thanksgiving — Christmas is mine.

Since we’re just a week or so away from the “socially accepted” Christmas season, here’s a list of my top 10 favorite Christmas songs to help get you into the holiday spirit too:

1. “Silver Bells” by Bing Crosby

Silver Bells has always been my favorite. It might not get everyone into the holiday spirit, but hey, this is my list not yours! It’s a beautiful classic and it makes me want to curl up on the couch with some cocoa and watch the snow fall. And somehow Bing Crosby makes Christmas shopping sound incredible. If you can make the chaos of malls in December beautiful, then you deserve an undisputed top spot on my list.

2. “All I Want For Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey

No other Christmas song can get you into the spirit of the season faster. It may be basic, but I couldn’t resist such an iconic song. This is the song that you’ll hear at every Christmas party you go to forever — it’s older than me, but no one can resist putting it in their Christmas playlist. It’s honestly impossible to stop yourself from belting out all the lyrics. Mariah Carey could probably live off the royalties of this song alone, maybe even just the royalties from all of the times I’ve listened to it honestly.

3. “It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas” by Michael Buble

It’s November, Michael Buble is defrosting as we speak. I like to think that this is the first song he sings when he finishes defrosting for the Christmas season. I love his music year round, but Michael Buble is one of the most recognizable Christmas singers. This is the kind of song that I want playing while I’m decorating my Christmas tree — beautiful, fun, but it won’t make me dance so much that I’ll drop an ornament.

4. “Hoping For Snow” by The Vamps

I can’t explain how much I love this song, it’s been on my Christmas playlist since I first heard it in 2016, and I’m adding it to this year’s as well. As much as I love the classics, it’s always great to have a new holiday song to break up the million covers of “Jingle Bells” and “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” that play all December long. The lyrics are sweet, the beat is fun and it’s easy to sing, earning it a spot on my list.

5. “Drummer Boy” by Justin Bieber

My little sister sent me a video of herself belting out the lyrics to this jam on Nov. 1 this year, and I couldn’t help but sing along with her. I’m pretty sure that it’s a celebrity rite of passage to make a Christmas album, and Justin Bieber made the Christmas classic “Little Drummer Boy” his own. If you’re more a Mariah Carey rather than a Michael Buble fan, then Bieber’s “Drummer Boy” is the song for you.

6. “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” by Tchaikovsky

Maybe it’s just the washed up ballerina in me, but I love this song so much. I would argue that the entire Nutcracker score should be on the list, but that would be a boring list for everyone else. It’s the only song on this list that doesn’t explicitly mention Christmas or Santa or some other holiday icon, but everyone still knows exactly what it’s from and what holiday it’s for. Side note: go watch “The Nutcracker” — Boston Ballet puts on a magnificent show.  

7. “Baby It’s Cold Outside” from Elf

It’s a Christmas classic that I will always play to get into the Christmas spirit. It just makes me happy to listen to it, and it’s fun to try to sing both parts of the duet, because who doesn’t do that. This song is how I feel convincing myself to leave my dorm in December. I mean, we all know that it’s seriously way too cold in Boston.

I know this song has some sketchy lyrics, I mean, “What’s in this drink” is pretty creepy. But, it’s in Elf, and Zooey Deschanel and Will Ferrell can do no wrong in my book. Also, Idina Menzel and Michael Buble made a version with some less creepy lyrics if you can’t get past the original. 

8. “Jingle Bell Rock” by Brenda Lee

What other Christmas song has its own dance? Also, if you’re saying that you haven’t tried to nail the “Mean Girls” choreography to this at some point in your life, then you’re lying. It’s a good song, and it’s so much fun to dance to — there are a million covers of it, so you’re bound to find a version that you love.

9. “Santa’s Coming For Us” by Sia

I think for Christmas, Sia just asks Santa for another album full of hits. Because she seriously just keeps on cranking out hits. The song is so good that she got an array of celebrities to be in the music video, including Kristen Bell.

10. “Last Christmas” by Ariana Grande

Don’t get me wrong, the Wham! version is good, but Ariana revitalized it and made it a bop. Ariana gave it a better beat, making it so more fun to sing along to. Although she’ll never rival Mariah Carey’s Christmas icon status, this song gives Ari her a rightful spot on my Christmas playlist.