By Emma Kopelowicz

We have officially hit the a-little-over-halfway point in the semester. Time flies when you’re having fun, right? More like time flies when you have a to-do list of assignments that’s 10 miles long, people to be social with, oh yeah, and a whole city to explore. My first semester at BU has felt like a whirlwind, but I’m not complaining.

I have gone through a rollercoaster of emotions these past eight weeks. Sometimes I have days when I’m on a roll and I feel like nothing can stop me. I walk down Commonwealth Avenue with my chin up, admiring the hustle and bustle of the city, and I think about how awesome it is that I’m a “real college student.”

Yet, there are other days when getting up in the morning is the actual bain of my existence, the idea of going to class physically pains my soul, and there is nothing I want more than “my bed and my mama” (to quote the great prophet Drake).

In honor of reaching this point in the semester, I have curated a list of songs that sum up all of the feels I think we’ve all had recently. These tunes cover everything from the highs and lows we face, the W’s and the L’s we take, the questionable decisions we make and, of course, the general lack of sleep all of us college kids get. There’s something in each of these songs that speaks to our collective experiences as people living through the daily grind. Without further ado, this one goes out to you, fall 2018.

“Uno” by Rex Orange County

“’Cus time keeps rollin’ and I’m just making songs / I’m doing my best / Still find myself stressed / And I’m no longer sure where I belong.”

If there’s one song that encapsulates teen angst and anxiety about growing up, it’s definitely this. Rex half speaks/half sings about his confused emotions as a teen growing up in the 21st century.

He also brings up how the uncertainty of the future often scares him, but he keeps living his life rather than stressing all of the time. If that doesn’t sum up college in a nutshell, then I don’t know what does. Rex’s ability to distill every existential thought that crosses a young adult’s mind, at one point or another, into three minutes is honestly baffling.

We all are afraid of growing up even if we convince ourselves that being older comes with so many perks, and Rex is here to to remind us all that it’s okay to feel lost and vulnerable sometimes.

“Truth Hurts” by Lizzo

“I just took a DNA test, turns out I’m 100 percent that b—- / Even when I’m crying crazy / Yeah, I got boy problems, that’s the human in me / Bling bling, then I solve ’em, that’s the goddess in me.”

On days when I’m really feeling myself, I put on this song and crank up the volume. Lizzo is the queen of all things self-confidence, and each of her bops promote body-positivity, loving yourself and celebrating who you are. All of her songs feel like personal pep talks, and I’m here for it. Got an A on an assignment? Pushed yourself to workout at FitRec? Snagged a booth all to yourself at Pavement? Turn on Lizzo and she’ll boost you.

“Shrink” by HONNE

“Goodbye to sanity, I got along with you / But now you’re leaving me, what am I gonna do? / I did not plan for this they don’t teach you this in school / No for this there are no rules, oh and Google ain’t much use.”

Picture this: tests and assignment deadlines start to stack up, you have a nasty cough that just won’t go away and to top it off, you are running on very little sleep. Sound familiar? We all have those crazy weeks when everything feels like it’s spiraling out of control. Everybody talks about how college is the absolute best, but no one says anything about the not-so-great moments when nothing seems to be going well. Some tough life lessons are learned through direct experience, and HONNE is here to remind us that we all get pushed to the brink of sanity during the worst of times.

“After the Storm” by Kali Uchis (feat. Tyler, the Creator and Bootsy Collins)

“The sun’ll come out, nothing good ever comes easy / I know times are rough but winners don’t quit / So don’t you give up, the sun’ll come out.”

If there’s one important thing that I learned this semester, it’s that life goes on even when things don’t go right. I tend to get caught up in the frenzy of the moment and stress myself out when something doesn’t happen the way I expect it to.

At this point in life, it’s not worth over-stressing about little things, since this is supposed to be the time when things go wrong and we learn how to fix them. Kali’s right when she says “nothing good ever comes easy.” The struggle is part of the process, so just remember that good things come to those who fail and continue working hard.

Musicians have the amazing ability to translate all of the mixed emotions we feel throughout our lives into the form of song. I definitely feel less alone when I listen to artists sing about their experiences, even if they aren’t directly related to what I’m specifically going through. I simply take comfort in the knowledge that people are willing to talk about important issues like mental health and learning to navigate the crazy world we live in.