By Alia Al-Chalabi

Sometimes Boston just gets to be a little too much, especially with the cold setting in and amount of work piling up. Find a friend, and plan a trip, near or far. With fall setting in, you can even go to some spooky places to get in the Halloween spirit. Some of these spots might be a little more effort to get to, but they’re worth the work.

Salem: Salem is easily accessible from the commuter rail, and it’s the ultimate Halloween destination. This one is an easy day trip, but be sure to bundle up if you want to walk out to the lighthouse on Pickering Wharf. The food is also incredible. I recommend Passage to India if you’re in the mood for Indian food. If you want seafood, since you are on the water after all, you should definitely try Turner’s Seafood. Don’t forget to check out all the witchy shops, museums and tours in town.

New York City: Contrary to popular belief, NYC is definitely a good weekend spot. You can get there an endless number of ways so don’t feel like you have to drive. While this may just be adding hustle and bustle to your weekend, it’s totally different and there’s endless places to explore. You can have a fancy brunch on the Upper East Side, walk around NYU and wonder if you made the right choice about college, or try to win a Broadway lottery and go see a musical. No matter where you go, you’ll get your mind off of school immediately.

Providence, Rhode Island: Another commuter rail spot! Providence is a small city with a lot of character. Caserta Pizzeria is my favorite pizza in Rhode Island, but there’s plenty of spots to try if you’re not into thick crust pizza.

Portland, Maine: You may need a car for this one, but Portland is a great place to spend a weekend in a different city. Maine is a beautiful state with lots to offer, and Portland has a quirky downtown with a strong New England vibe. It’s a great blend of an old city, but with modern features and great food.

Portsmouth, New Hampshire: Portsmouth is, believe it or not, an old port town. It is one of the prettiest towns I’ve seen, and it’s in New Hampshire so if you haven’t checked that state off of your New England bucket list, you don’t need to go very far. There’s great restaurants, cute places to stay and a distinct feeling of fall in the air.

Franconia Notch State Park, New Hampshire: This is a great spot if you truly cannot stand to be in a city anymore, and just need a breath of fresh air. Franconia Notch is a beautiful hiking spot, just be sure to come prepared with lots of water, sturdy boots and a hiking buddy. You’re also right next to Cannon Mountain so on colder days there might be some snow on the ground. Don’t leave your skis at home just yet.

Hopefully this article gives you a few ideas for places to take a break from the hectic school year. Even if you secretly need to be studying for a test, you can always bring your study guide on the train or in the car.