By Karla Leon

Time has a funny way of making certain movements feel infinite. In reality, it’s our perception of time that can make us feel like our morning lecture lasts six hours and that the moments we enjoy fly by.

It’s been a little bit more than a month since I’ve been at BU, but every week feels like a whole month in itself. A part of it is how stressful life gets in college, part of it is how busy I constantly am and part is how every day encapsulates something new and exciting.

Last week, I had three papers due, and that dreadful time felt like a month of my life. The days were long, and sometimes I wondered if I would ever make it through. But when the time came to call it quits and go to sleep, I’d look back on the day and it would feel like it flew by.

I think that time isn’t fast or slow. When we look at the events of the past in retrospect, our perception of time becomes obscured.

The way we perceive our life can affect how we experience time. If we perceive life as boring or monotonous, we tend to feel like time drags on and on. But if our perception changes and we see our life with excitement and curiosity, we feel like time goes faster than usual.

Although, that’s not always the case. I can have a really bad day, but when I look back at it at the end of the day, it might feel like it wasn’t as slow as I’d thought. I think in those instances we believe time to have passed more rapidly than it really did.

I don’t worry about time all that much anymore. I don’t worry how fast or slow it’s going. I just focus on enjoying the experience of living everyday with excitement for what will come. Some days are better than others. Some days I’m not excited about anything, some days I can barely gather the will to get out of bed. But, when I think about the beautiful city I live in and the amazing opportunities out there to explore, my feet hit the ground with purpose.

I feel like I’ve been at BU for years now. Hearing the T honk at students when they cross the tracks, seeing familiar faces around campus, going to the same clubs every week, have all become so ingrained in my experience that I feel like I’ve been doing it forever.

I can only imagine how I will feel by my senior year. I’m glad that BU has quickly made itself feel like home. What once felt unfamiliar, now feels like it’s been there far longer than it really has.

At first I was scared of leaving home, of not seeing the same buildings and faces that I grew up with, but now when I think of leaving Boston to go back home for the holidays, a part of me doesn’t want to leave the city I have, in the blink of an eye, grown to love.