By Brittany Moura

In light of recent sexual misconduct allegations against indie-pop star BØRNS, whose real name is Garrett Borns, coinciding with the Kavanaugh case, I decided I wanted to devote more time to female musicians. Notably, those who discuss this issue in their art in some way. I’ve compiled a list of a few powerful, viciously underrated female acts who have inspired me in the midst of all of this hurt, disappointment and hopelessness.

Misty Boyce

Ironically enough, Misty was previously a member of BØRNS’ touring band, playing keys and providing background vocals. A talented multi-instrumentalist and singer, she has released multiple full-length albums, her most recent being this year’s, “Get Lost.” This was her first release since exiting the band, and left me with a lot to think about upon my first listen. Without trying to analyze the subtle shade being thrown, my favorite two tracks, “I Don’t Wanna Be Yer Gurl,” and “Get Lost,” both expose feelings of resentment, anger and a strong sense of self-empowerment.

Dream Wife

If you’re craving self-empowerment, look no further than trio Dream Wife and their cult of “bad b—-es.” After seeing them open for Sunflower Bean last spring, I was immediately hooked by the all-female band’s sense of confidence and use of anger to build the women in the crowd up. Their debut self-titled album is full of feminist bops and catchy guitar riffs, as well as a unique vocalist who makes even the most biting lyrics seem floaty and reflective. One of their crowd-pleasers is “F.U.U.,” and with repetitive lyrics like, “I’m gonna f— you up, gonna cut you up, gonna f— you up,” it’s easy to see how the track is easily my favorite to remind me who I am and that women are taking over the world.

Goat Girl

Also releasing their debut self-titled album earlier this year, Britain’s Goat Girl is also an all-female band filled with self-awareness and insane talent. Their lyrics are filled with honesty and feelings of anxiety and dread, which comes across most vibrantly on the track, “Creep.” It paints a pretty universal experience for women, when a creep on the train won’t stop staring, a common occurrence on the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority for many of us. Another track on the album, “Throw Me a Bone,” includes the lyrics, “Throw me a bone and I’ll throw back a stone,” which I can only interpret as the frustration women face working toward the same recognition that men receive, possibly in the music industry, for producing the same quality of work. Goat Girl have made a strong impact in the indie music scene, and they’re not going anywhere anytime soon.

There are countless powerful female musicians taking strides to empower and protect their female audience, and it means more than I can say to rely on this art during times when being a woman feels like fighting an uphill battle. Music has always been a sign of the culture and can be used to lift the veils of oppression and encourage the oppressed to keep fighting.