By Noelle Monge

In the past two or three years, popular television comedy has developed into an indie subculture centered on dark humor. The fact that Netflix and other streaming sites are taking over entertainment and are making their own rules in the process is definitely partially responsible for this change. By rules, I mean getting rid of previously accepted perceptions and notions. By giving Aziz Ansari and Nicholas Stoller the opportunity to stray from their goofy, stoner-comedy reputations, audiences have received some pretty amazing stuff. But which show takes the cake?

“Master of None”:

Noe loved:

What makes “Master of None” so awesome is that most of the situations are weirdly accurate and relatable. The show addresses real life issues in a manner that makes you think, “someone just read my mind.”

Friendship-wise, Dev’s relationships with Brian, Denise and Arnie make you both reflect on your closest relationships and wish you had something as cinematically goofy as them. Each character in general is so interesting. On the surface, they seem like regular, quirky adults. However, in certain episodes, like “Thanksgiving,” we realize that even the funniest of dudes has struggled with something quite difficult.

In the midst of funny situations and wholesome interactions, “Master of None” provides life lessons that can’t be found in other comedies. Dev’s search for love in his 30s lacks the idealized luster and excitement that I’m used to seeing, which has been nothing but refreshing.

Noe hated:

Like other comedies, I feel like “Master of None” sometimes relies too heavily on heartbreak to add drama to the typically more lighthearted series. Although I am a romantic, I don’t think this aspect of the show is completely necessary.

Obviously, dating is part of life, but for most people, their career or other aspects of life come first. Despite this qualm, I am still thoroughly invested in what happened at the end of the season two finale.

“Friends From College”:

Noe loved:

“Friends From College” is brilliant at portraying different types of realistic lifestyles post-adolescence. While watching season one, all I could do was try to match each of my closest college friends (side note: I think I’m Max) to each of the characters.

While the characters are relatable enough that you can identify with them, the plots are wacky in a good way. It’s filled with worst-case scenarios that will make you cringe with sympathy, but there’s also a lot of fun-filled adventures that kind of makes you long for a similar messed-up group of friends.

I think my favorite element of the show is the theme of priorities. You see each character struggle to prioritize, but are ultimately sidetracked by one of the universe’s many temptations. The show portrays life in all of its confusing, muddled glory and I hope that we see more of these characters in the near future.

Noe hated:

I know that only the first season of “Friends from College” is out, but there is already too much drama for a self-titled “comedy” in the plot for me. There is not one, but two affairs going on, problems with jobs and rifts in friendships, among many other issues presented. While they are relatable, I would prefer if there were more breaks from the moments of turmoil so that the humor could be appreciated greater.

Noe’s Choice:

“Master of None” wins this one. All I can say is that it is so good, and that season three needs to come out soon, or I will be forced to watch [insert beloved sitcom] again instead.