Marco, a resident FreeP blogger on exchange from Italy, has spent his semester experiencing life in America. In this series, Marco discusses all his first experiences of different aspects of American life.

When I get a notification from The New York Times on my computer, the headlines are usually related to President Trump. Last week, however, one informed me that Cynthia Nixon was going to run for New York governor. My first reaction was: “Who is this Cynthia Nixon?”

So, no, never have I ever watched “Sex and the City” before. But as I understand, it plays a big role in American culture, so I decided to give it a shot, hoping also that it would provide me with some useful insight on relationships, as well as tell me a bit more about Cynthia Nixon’s qualifications.

So here are my thoughts on the first episode:

One of the first things I noticed was that everyone is obsessed with sex (yeah, maybe I should have expected that, given the title of the show) and with relationships, no matter they be with men or women. Sex is a fun thing, but it’s far from being the number-one thought for most people.

The second thing I noticed — and was really disappointed about — is the cliché that men can have casual sex while women become immediately attached to the man she’s having sex with. Who first said this? What are their sources? Maybe this makes me a Skipper, the character who goes out with Miranda in the first episode, but I believe that that’s a really sexist assertion. In my limited experience, the opposite always happened. The fact is that both men and women can have sex without caring for their partner, and that is not related to gender.

The third thing I noticed is that “Sex and the City” presents women in powerful and prestigious positions, something I appreciated, especially when you remember that the show was made 20 years ago. Nevertheless, it seems that all the four women must, in some way or another, be involved with a man, not because they want to, but because it is something expected of them of their social environment. As middle-aged women, they are supposed to have a man, be married and have children. They are overwhelmed by the necessity to find someone, which, in my opinion, should not be anyone’s main goal. Yes, we can think about it, but usually happiness, in matters of love, happens not because we try with every effort to achieve them. Serendipity is the key.

Finally, Mr. Big is really charming and I found it fun that they referred to him as “the next Donald Trump.” Will he be the next president? He is better looking, at least.