Boston is home to a wide variety of specialty coffee shops and roasters. In recent years, the scene has grown across the city, with some older shops expanding to multiple locations and new shops popping up quickly. Here at Boston University, Starbucks is a mainstay, with many locations across campus. While convenient, there’s so much more to coffee than Starbucks. Whenever you have a second, take the opportunity to venture away from campus for a moment and enjoy one of Boston’s many great coffee shops.

Founded on the premise that America needs better coffee, La Colombe Coffee Roasters is a Philadelphia-based coffee operation that is rapidly expanding. With multiple cafés already established in Washington, D.C., New York, Chicago and L.A., Boston seems to be La Colombe’s next target. Their first location in the area opened in the Leather District across from South Station in April 2016, and they recently opened a second location in the Seaport in December 2017. Rumour has it that a third location is in the works in the Back Bay somewhere near the Prudential Center.

La Colombe was one of the leaders of the “third wave coffee” scene, meaning they were one of the earliest roasters to focus on single origin and direct trade coffee sourcing. Over the past 20 years, they have lead the movement to serve better tasting and more interesting coffee across the country. They source their coffee from across the globe and are known for their creative brewing methods.

One of La Colombe’s claims to fame is their invention of the Draft Latte. Essentially, the Draft Latte is a standard espresso and frothed milk latte, only it is poured from a draft handle, lending it an interesting consistency. The velvety, silky drink is also available in cans, which are becoming more and more widely available in supermarkets and convenience stores.

Apart from their Draft Lattes, La Colombe offers a wide variety of cold brew, espresso and pour-over options. The laid-back and relaxed mood of their cafés is sure to mesh well with Boston, and fills the city’s need for more cafés built for people to relax and stay for a while. Light wood and white marble lace the South Station location, with similar elements found in the new Seaport spot.The cafés are definitely worth a visit.

While you’re there, you can pick up some of La Colombe’s great bean offerings. Their cornerstone series represents coffees that are available throughout the year and offer tried and true flavor profiles. I personally enjoy their Nizza roast quite a lot. Their workshop coffees are their single-origin and limited edition coffees, which offer more unique flavors that are constantly changing.

Be on the lookout for more La Colombe locations popping up in the area, and definitely give them a shot if you’re nearby. They offer an interesting product, and are welcome competition to the usual Boston coffee staples.