There’s nothing more fulfilling to me than a good adventure, especially when they involve some type of road trip, as it usually means I get to choose the music. I’m a sucker for anything from a quick trip to Target to spending a day on the beach with a good friend and a good book. Regardless of where my adventure takes me, I know that I’ll have fun doing whatever it is.

A few years ago, I needed nitty-gritty details to satisfy my Type A tendencies. I used to get upset when things didn’t go as planned, and spent most days feeling unfulfilled and irritated. I built up expectations in my head, and most of the time they didn’t happen, either because I didn’t speak up or didn’t try to make it happen. I’ve since learned that it is totally OK when things don’t work out as planned. That’s how you grow, even from something as small as a movie night with friends going differently than expected.

Since starting college, I’ve developed a “throw it to the wind” kind of attitude when it comes to making plans. Not a “make plans and blow you off” kind of thing, but a “yes, let’s absolutely hang out and do anything,” as long as it means I can spend time with my friends.

Spontaneity is important. It brings you to places you wouldn’t have expected to go, and teaches you things you wouldn’t have expected to learn along the way.

I think it also goes hand-in-hand with patience.

I’m in my junior year of college, and everyone I know — myself included — has hectic schedules. It’s not easy to be spontaneous when you’re a full-time student and working 30 to 40 hours a week at a part-time job, all while balancing relationships with family and friends. You get caught up in your daily schedule of class, work and studying. But sometimes, exactly what you need is a little adventure, it comes, and is oh-so sweet. Everyone is smiling, and everything feels right with the world.

Whether it’s planning a trip to a foreign country with your best friend or going to get a slice of pie with some pals, spontaneity will find its way into your life. Things won’t always go as planned, but sometimes a little change in your routine is worth it.

So call up a friend and go do something. Make the most of all of this time you have while it’s still available to you.