Makeup went from being something I never really cared about to an art I am intrigued and inspired by very quickly. Although I go bare-faced on most days because I don’t like being rushed on the job, the days I decide to put on a full day of makeup are therapeutic.

With so many products out there, it’s hard to know what to buy. My many trips to Sephora, and trial and error, have helped me learn what to splurge on. It’s important to note what works for someone may not work for you, so remember to check if products are compatible with your skin type and any allergies. Over the years, these have been my favorite products:

For the face…

Primer:

Benefit Cosmetics  The POREfessional Face Primer —  $12-49

I love this primer because it’s easy to apply. You rub it on your face with your hands like a moisturizer, and your pores are hidden and makeup sticks on rather well.

Foundation:

Too Faced Born This Way Foundation — $39

This is my absolute favorite foundation because of the dewy look it gives my face. The bottle allows you to pump out just how much you need, and the product blends smoothly.

Concealer:

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer — $30

This concealer blends flawlessly. The wand allows you to hit the spots you need, and is perfect for cream contouring if you also buy them in two shades darker and lighter.

Contour:

Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Cream Kit — $40

Whenever I use this palette, I feel like a makeup artist because of all the shades it comes with for accentuating the detailed contoured look. I prefer the cream palette because my skin is more dry than oily, but the powder kit may be better if you have oily skin.

Blush/Bronzer/Highlighter:

Urban Decay Naked Flushed Palette — $34

This compact travel-friendly palette has bronzer, blush and highlighter. It’s great for a basic everyday look, and is the only palette I’ve fully finished –– so worth the money.

Powder:

Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder — $3.99

This powder applies easily with a brush and keeps skin looking matte and oil-free.

For the eyes…

Eye Primer:

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion — $12-22

This is the glue you need to keep the eyeshadow and liner you worked so hard to perfect on your eyelids all day.

Eyeshadow:

Kylie Cosmetics kyshadow palettes — $38-52

Before you accuse me of hopping on the Kardashian bandwagon, I don’t think any of my eyeshadows blend as smoothly as Mama Jenner’s. My personal favorites are The Burgundy and The Bronze palettes, but you can check out more options on her website.

Eyeliner:

Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner — $22

This eyeliner sticks on like a tattoo and lasts all day and night. It’s great for a sharp wing or any creative look you desire.

Mascara:

Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara —$12-23

The curved wands curls your lashes upwards and gives them a glamorously long look –– never worry about falsies again.

For the brows …

L’oreal Paris Brow Stylist Definer — $8.99

This product is a great dupe for the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz. It applies just as smoothly, and is more than half the price –– save money and keep those brows on fleek.

For the lips …

ColourPop — starts at $5

Whether it’s liquid lipstick, regular lipstick or lip gloss, ColourPop has you covered. Don’t let the low prices fool you –– their products are of quality, all natural and vegan!

For application …

Beautyblender — $20

Being left alone with dozens of brushes can make makeup intimidating, but the beauty blender makes it so easy. As its name implies, it blends makeup to perfection without the tediousness of patting with a brush. While the original price is steep, dupes from Real Techniques and E.l.f. get the job done for a much lower price.