Boston is home to a wide variety of specialty coffee shops and roasters. In recent years, the scene has grown across the city with some older shops expanding to multiple locations and new shops popping up quickly. Here at Boston University, Starbucks is a mainstay, with many locations across campus. While convenient, there’s so much more to coffee than Starbucks. Whenever you have a second, take the opportunity to venture away from campus for a moment and enjoy one of Boston’s many great coffee shops.

Barrington Coffee Roasting Company opened in 1993 with the mission of finding and roasting the best coffees in the world every year and delivering them to customers. They have two cafes, one on Newbury Street, relatively close to BU, and one in the Fort Point neighborhood. Both spaces are modern and airy, lending a cool, laid-back feel. They are easy on the eye and allow the coffee to be the focus of your visit. That attitude can be seen throughout the company. Coffee is the primary focus and everything else is secondary. The packaging and the advertising and website are simple, but the coffee is rich and complex. Their coffee is definitely a must-try in Boston.

The company focuses on letting each unique coffee shine through without over-roasting. For this reason you will likely notice their coffees taste a bit lighter than more mainstream roasts, especially Starbucks, which is generally roasted quite heavily. However, Barrington offers a wide variety of roasts, including darker. At the moment, they have well over a dozen roasts available for purchase.

Barrington really is a great place to pick up beans for brewing at home. They provide tons of information about the coffee’s origin and how to best brew it at home. The baristas are incredibly helpful, and will give you tips tailored to your brewing equipment and the coffee. I would highly recommend heading to Barrington and talking to a barista when you are ready for your next bag of beans. If you can’t make it to either of the shops, they guarantee that if you order a coffee before or on the day it is roasted they will ship it within 24 hours, ensuring freshness.

Barrington also offers cupping classes which you can sign up for on their website and are offered sporadically throughout the month. The classes are an hour and a half long and will take you through the process from roasting a batch of beans all the way to brewing and tasting. This could be a great experience to help you learn more about the intricacies of coffee and Barrington’s unique approach. With a focus on quality, direct sourcing from family owned farms, sustainability and equitable trading practices, Barrington helps set the tone of the coffee scene in Boston. Stop by after class and find out.