One of my favorite holidays is right around the corner. St. Patrick’s Day has been an integral part of my life for as long as I can remember.

Every year, my Irish family would gather at my grandparents’ house to enjoy a delicious meal of corned beef, cabbage and potatoes — a real treat, especially if my grandparents were making it. Now, my delicious meal with my family has turned into me indulging in an equally delicious corned beef and cabbage burrito from Anna’s Taqueria in Brookline.

In kindergarten, I remember making green milkshakes with food coloring, and, most recently, I taught myself how to make Guinness cupcakes with Irish whiskey ganache and Bailey’s buttercream frosting.

Of course, all of these memories were paired with classic Irish music, from playful songs to ones that bring tears to my eyes.

Here’s a few highlights from a playlist with hits from The Dubliners, The Irish Rovers and The Chieftains to get into the spirit of the green holiday!

Even if you’re not Irish, raise your glasses and have a safe and Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

1. “The Unicorn Song” by The Irish Rovers

Originally a poem by Shel Silverstein, The Irish Rovers took this playful poem and made a hit out of it. It’s by far one of the catchiest Irish songs that I know. It’s playful and will take your imagination for a walk in the park, the zoo or Noah’s Arc.

1. “The Orange And The Green” by The Irish Rovers

A tale of a man whose parents were from opposing sides of Ireland… a tune that will definitely be stuck in your head.

1. “Mo Ghile Mear (‘Our Hero’)” by The Chieftains and Sting

As a kid, this was one of my favorite songs, and still to this day it pulls at my heartstrings. My grandfather, father and brothers would play this in our house, and I instantly fell in love with the way that it rang through the walls. I remember coming home from school and going into the kitchen for a snack and hearing one of my older brothers singing the tune upstairs.

1. “Black Velvet Band” by The Dubliners

A funny little song about a man who fell in love with a girl who tied her hair up with a black velvet band, which he was infatuated with, but her trickery landed him in jail.

1. “Galway Girl” by Ed Sheeran

Sorry, this was a must. I’m also sensing a theme among these songs… anyway, this song is bound to get you and your friends happy and ready to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.

Link to playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/user/1233821517/playlist/46yOdyRCSNLcsoPrQyYncn?si=94xoZMENTwqHolaZI8TuGA