The tragedy last Wednesday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida claimed the lives of 17 people. The events in Florida once again raise the question of how easy it is for a person to acquire a gun.

It shouldn’t have taken a mass shooting for politicians to wake up to harsh reality and discuss legislation to combat gun-related crimes. The “right to bear arms” is an outdated clause in the Bill of Rights imposed over 226 years ago. In this day and age, it is incredibly apparent that it’s unnecessary for everyone to own a gun. Background checks can only do so much. It only takes a sane person to suddenly snap for another massacre to happen.

This shooting should be one of the most frightening school shootings, because the victims were all around the same age range as us. It’s very easy to put ourselves in their shoes because most of us were in high school less than three years ago. It’s a shame that the kids at Marjory Stoneman Douglas will be forever marred by the actions of one student.

With the number of school shootings increasing at a profound pace, there is a real possibility of an event occurring here on campus. As BU students, we already have a lot on our plate when it comes to classes, work, clubs and exams. The last thing we need to worry about is our safety on campus. A change has to be made, and soon.