On this installment of “Noe’s Choice,’ we’ll explore the graphic-novel realm of “Scott Pilgrim Versus the World” by Bryan Lee O’Malley. The plot is one of love, self-discovery and tons of action: what more could you ask of comic and its film adaptation?

BOOK:

Noe Loved:

I grew up reading my uncles’ old Marvel comics, so I know my way around a good graphic or two. The “Scott Pilgrim” series, however, changed everything I knew about the genre. From the freshness of the illustrations to the oddly relatable yet admirable characters, this series is a spectacular one. Not only is it a good graphic novel, but a good book to return to in general.

One thing in particular that makes “Scott Pilgrim” so great is the tone of the book. It’s very quirky and hip, yet it hits you in your soft spot in the most appropriate moments. Plus, O’Malley manages to give each character their own particular voice, despite the restrictive nature of comic bubbles. And for a second installment, you’re never left in the dark about details from previous plots that help create the new one. Any backstory is explained and most details have a defined purpose.

Noe Hated:

Although I appreciated the details given for most characters and scenarios, I feel like it was lacking in “G’s” (Scott’s antagonist) story. It wasn’t a major problem, yet there was a sense of detachment when it came to him. Maybe it was a stylistic problem to give readers a sense of uneasiness, but it left me wanting to know more about why he was the way he was.

Film:

Noe Loved:

This is one of my favorite films ever. It is bright, adventurous, and has enough dark humor to satisfy my emo soul. I particularly liked how it painted a different picture of the typical twenty-something band scene; not every head-banger is a rock star, and that struggle is made evident in the film. The soundtrack of the film was amazing. Its angsty sound fits the tone of the graphic novel perfectly, and also makes you want to angry mosh.

What I’m most impressed with is how true to the graphic novel it is. From door-floating to epic battle-of-the-bands scenes, there are not many distinct differences between the two versions. It was the adaptation I had always dreamed of, but never really thought of, and that’s all thanks to Edgar Wright. Side note: “Scott Pilgrim” was the role Michael Cera was destined for, and I can never really believe him in any other role because of it.

Noe’s Choice:

The film is ultimately the best rendition of the plot. It’s such a great experience that I could watch over and over again. And if you haven’t entered the world of “Scott Pilgrim,” then you need to block out a couple hours and get ready to have your life changed.