A backpack is important — other than books, my laptop and any other school supplies, there are certain items you should always carry. A well-packed backpack sets you up for a good day, so here are five items you should not forget to ease your work days:

1. Ready-to-go medicine

I like to carry Ibuprofen and Tums with me since I always get headaches and a queasy stomach. Keeping mini containers of each in my bag not only allows me to quickly recover, but also saves the trek back to my dorm or to Student Health Services.

via GIPHY

2. Umbrella

The weather in Boston is constantly changing. While parka hoods are good, they aren’t always enough. I always carry a small umbrella with me to be safe from being drenched or looking like I just got hit by a blizzard.

via GIPHY

3. Gloves

It is absolutely the worst if I’m cold and I a.) don’t have pockets or b.) my pockets aren’t warm enough. I leave my gloves in the front pocket of my bag so I never have to worry about freezing hands. Touchscreen gloves are even better to stave off the numbness when texting.   

via GIPHY

1. Tide To Go stick

The number of times I’ve accidentally spilled dining hall hot sauce or my Starbucks coffee on myself is more than should be possible. After getting a Tide stick, however, I can quickly clean up the mess instead of walking around with a stain all day.  

via GIPHY

1. Hand sanitizer/tissues

Ate something in class? Touched something icky? Suddenly have a cold? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should be carrying hand sanitizers and tissues to save you from that crumby mess or sneezing on yourself. It’s flu season, so good hygiene just became even more important.

via GIPHY