Do you ever feel like you haven’t actually explored the city you’re living in? I know that since I’ve been at BU, my time spent traversing Boston itself has been minimal. One of my New Year’s resolutions this year was to change this. In particular, I decided I wanted to start exploring museums. From the Louvre in Paris to MoMA in New York City, museums can be beautifully curated halls of art and history. The first on my list to visit was ranked as one of the 50 greatest art galleries in the world by the London Times, and lived up to its name — the Museum of Bad Art.

The museum — housed in three different locations in the Boston area, but its Brookline location is the closest to BU — is an extremely quirky gallery which was founded in 1993. It often has weird, interesting themes to keep viewers intrigued. Color schemes don’t exactly exist, and clashes plaster the walls. Proportions are optional.  The museum’s mission is literally “to bring the worst of art to the widest of audiences.” At any given time, between 50 and 70 of the museum’s 600-odd piece collection are on display. Their Landscape exhibits include gems such as “Dog” (the most truly horrendous dog painting known to man) and “Two Trees in Love,” the subject of which is quite self-explanatory. Portraits that make the cut are often “visited by a unique, possibly extraterrestrial muse,” such as the rather foreboding “Peter the Kitty.”

Altogether, the MOBA is a great, albeit ridiculous, experience. Though in the past it has been accused of being ‘anti-art,’ I disagree with this and support the steadfast beliefs of the museum’s founders— that the museum is a tribute to artists who persevere. Marie Jackson, one of the founding members, once said, “We are here to celebrate an artist’s right to fail, gloriously.”  

As someone who enjoys drawing, but isn’t quite the best at it, I appreciate this celebration of atrocious artists, and wholeheartedly believe that the museum’s light-hearted, fun and interesting collection is an inspiration.