If you are a Patriots or an Eagles fan, this Sunday is dedicated to one thing: the Super Bowl. Known as the biggest sporting event in the United States, the championship football game played annually between the NFC and AFC division champions of the NFL is sure to be an intense game. While it is fun to watch the game and see who wins, there is actually a lot of history behind the game. Here are some facts that you may not have known about the infamous Super Bowl Sunday:

1. The Super Bowl was created as a result of the merger between the American Football League (AFL) and the National Football League (NFL) in June of 1966. The two had previously competed for players, and decided to have a championship game to determine the world champion.
  2. The first Super Bowl was played on Jan. 15, 1967 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, California.
  3. The Green Bay Packers won the first two Super Bowl Games, but the AFL’s New York Jets won the following year in Super Bowl III.
  4. Ever wondered about the trophy the winning team receives? Known as the Vince Lombardi Trophy, named after the coach of the Green Bay Packers who won the first two Super Bowls, the trophy is made of Tiffany and Co. sterling silver.
  5. The Pittsburgh Steelers have won a total of six Super Bowl championships, which is the most wins to date.
  6. The New England Patriots have been to the Super Bowl 10 times, and have won five of those games.
  7. Twenty-seven of the 51 Super Bowls have been played in New Orleans, Miami and Los Angeles.
  8. The Detroit Lions, the Houston Texans, the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Cleveland Browns have never played in the Super Bowl.
  9. Due to the fact that a football season runs over two calendar years, each Super Bowl is numbered with Roman numerals.
  10. Unless it is an enclosed stadium, the Super Bowl cannot be held in a climate of less than 50 degrees.