Now that we are back from winter break, it’s officially the coldest time of the year. Being from Miami, I have never experienced anything below 40 degrees, so this weather has been a new and trying experience for me. It seems as if the cold sends my body all out of whack, so I have compiled a list of a few essentials to help minimize the negative effects of the cold weather. Here are five unexpected, but necessary cold weather essentials:     

1. Facial moisturizer or face oil

This one is huge for me because I have never had dry skin in my entire life. I always struggled with breakouts because of my oily skin, but little did I know you can also get them from lack of moisture in your skin. Having an intense, thick, hydrating moisturizer is key to keeping a great complexion in the winter. It will also prevent dry patches from emerging, which can get flaky and look really unflattering under makeup. I personally like using an oil because my skin gets extremely parched, and that provides the maximum amount of moisture.  

via GIPHY

1. Saline nose spray or nasal decongestant

For me, the cold weather comes with congestion. Even if I’m not sick, I always wake up stuffy if it’s below 40 degrees outside. Saline spray or any nasal decongestant spray is essential in keeping my nostrils at peak performance during the winter. I usually use the spray every morning and night to keep my nose clear.   

via GIPHY

1. Vitamin C tablets/supplements

Unfortunately, wintertime is the season for colds and the flu. I always tend to get sick when it gets super cold out, so in order to prevent that, I try to take some sort of vitamin C supplement every day. I’ve tried pills and drinks like Emergen-C, but my favorite form of vitamin C has to be gummies. They taste like candy, so that’s really why it’s my preferred method of supplementing vitamin C. Candy that helps you not get sick? Sign me up.  

via GIPHY

1. Lip and body scrubs

Not only does the skin on our face get dry, but our skin tends to get dry all over when it’s cold. My legs and arms can start to feel pretty rough if I don’t moisturize daily, so a body scrub helps by removing dry skin and rejuvenating. Using it once a week ensures my skin stays baby soft along with moisturizing as often as I can. In addition, my lips start to feel like the Sahara desert when it’s cold and windy, as it tends to usually be in Boston. Just like for skin, it’s good to scrub your lips down every once in awhile to get rid of the dryness and flakes. You can actually make your own by combining regular sugar with olive oil. Exfoliating with scrubs (and applying moisturizer) are essential in keeping your skin soft during the winter.

via GIPHY

1. Thermos (for warm drinks)

The last item on my list is a thermos, because I don’t know about you, but Starbucks cups never keep my drinks warm long enough. On a cold day, I want to maximize the time my drink stays warm. Most thermoses will keep your drink hot for hours, some providing up to 12 hours of warmth. Yes, a jacket and scarf are nice, but the feeling you get when you drink some hot tea on a chilly day is unbeatable.

via GIPHY