This past winter, I hopped in the car and drove to New Hampshire to ski for the very first time. I was a bundle of nerves and I had no idea what to expect, but I knew that my friends at BU could not speak more highly of it. I got on the mountain and I couldn’t even walk on my skis. However, the day really turned around, and after I figured out the basics, I was starting to feel confident on my first trail. I was so ready to give up on that first day, and now here I am, one year later, and I can’t think of something I enjoy doing more in my free time than skiing. I have not only progressed and feel more confident going down more difficult trails, but I feel like I have a new outlet for stress that is both healthy and an amazing sport. Here’s a few reasons why everyone should try skiing:

1. You gain confidence

The hardest part about getting down the mountain is convincing yourself that you won’t fall. The only way to truly get over this fear of falling is to know how to stop, and once you can figure that out, you can figure out just about any trail. As time goes by, you might even start to get more adventurous and stop thinking about it so much. This trust that you build with yourself is not only empowering while skiing, but in everyday life. You can use the confidence you found on the mountain to be more comfortable and assertive in class or work, or any situation you might otherwise need a pep talk for.

via GIPHY

1. There’s a million different ways to try it out

BU offers the unique opportunity to live in an awesome city, but also be within a few hours of many different ski resorts. Not only are there a ton of students that like to take a few weekends to go skiing, but there is also the Ski and Board Club. The club has a few ski trips each year, and it’s also a great way to meet new people. There is even a skiing PDP, so while you’re here, try to make the most of it.

via GIPHY

1. It’s a great experience even when you’re not on the mountain

The whole process of getting to the mountain, waking up early with your friends, and finding a great place to eat afterwards is all an incredible bonding experience. Skiing is not just about getting down the mountain, but about having fun, getting to know the people you’re with and drinking lots of hot chocolate. From start to finish, skiing is great the whole way.

via GIPHY

1. It’s an amazing way to stay in shape

Skiing is taxing on your legs, your feet and just about every other part of you. Once you do a few runs you’ll definitely start to feel it, but after you get more used to it, you begin to enjoy it more and more. It also tends to keep you more mindful of how often you go to the gym, because if you hit the stairmaster a few times at FitRec before you go skiing, you might feel a little better once you hit the slopes.

via GIPHY

1. It’s motivating

Once you conquer a hard trail, you start to feel inspired to conquer more trails and challenge yourself. As you start to cover more of the mountain, it will motivate you to be the best skier that you can be, and this feeling starts to leak into other aspects of your life. In class, or wherever you need some motivation, just think about the way you feel when you ski a hard trail and shred it up. You’ll be shocked about the positive attitude that skiing can provide for you in your daily life.

via GIPHY