For better or for worse, 2018 is a year full to bursting with movie franchises — complete with expansive world-building and character arcs that take years to unravel. And that means this year is shaping up to be full of sequels, though whether they will be any good is up for debate. Here are some sequels we are looking forward to this year (and a few we aren’t):

Want:

1. “Incredibles 2” (release date: June 15, 2018)

After a 14-year wait, we are finally getting a sequel to the 2004 Pixar classic. The sequel picks up right where the original left off, with the Parr family discovering the youngest, Jack-Jack, has a plethora of superpowers, including, but not limited to, laser eyes. Honestly, this movie could be two hours of Edna Mode criticizing capes while Jack-Jack sets various items on fire, and I would still praise it as the highlight movie of the year.

via GIPHY

1. ‘Untitled Deadpool Sequel” (release date: May 18, 2018)

Not much is known about this sequel to the raunchy 2016 dark comedy, but with Ryan Reynolds’ comedic timing and the last film’s true-to-the-comics adaptation, this sequel is sure to at least generate some laughs. The eventual X-Men tie-in is also something to look forward to.

via GIPHY

1. “Mary Poppins Returns” (release date: Dec. 25, 2018)

Lin-Manuel Miranda as a singing street-lamp lighter? Emily Blunt as everyone’s favorite magical British nanny? A return to the Banks’ children in Depression-era London? This sequel over fifty years in the making is a recipe for delight and whimsy.

via GIPHY

1. “Sherlock Gnomes” (release date: March 23, 2018)

This second installment in the “Gnomeo and Juliet” series, which features Gnomeo and Juliet seeking Sherlock Gnomes’ help to find their missing family, looks like SO much fun, and something I would definitely see in theaters, especially if Sir Elton John is involved with the soundtrack.

via GIPHY

Don’t want:

1. “Ant-Man and the Wasp” (release date: July 6, 2018)

As much as I love Paul Rudd, I remember little to nothing of the original “Ant-Man,” a purely average Marvel movie at best and positively boring at worst, and I hold little hope that the sequel will be any better.

via GIPHY

1. “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” (release date: Nov. 16, 2018)

This next installment in the new “Harry Potter” franchise could have been a nice return to the magical world of J.K. Rowling, especially with Jude Law starring as a young Albus Dumbledore, but Johnny Depp’s continued presence complicates the matter, as his ex-wife’s allegations against him mark him as one of the many problematic men in Hollywood.

via GIPHY

It’s a Maybe:

1. “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again!” (release date: July 20, 2018)

This unprecedented sequel to the highly-acclaimed ABBA musical could be a delight or a horror. A look into Donna’s (Meryl Streep) past, the movie stars Cher as Donna’s mother. This musical has a lot of potential, but only if it sticks to an ABBA soundtrack.

via GIPHY

1. “Pacific Rim Uprising” (release date: March 23, 2018)

Although the first movie in this film series was a bit of a drag, the sequel is shaping up to be thrilling and compelling, especially with “Star Wars’” John Boyega set to lead, with accompaniment from Charlie Day and Rinko Kikuchi.

via GIPHY

1. “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” (release date: June 22, 2018)

More Chris Pratt as a professional dinosaur-wrangler? The return of Jeff Goldblum to the “Jurassic” universe? A debate over whether the dinosaurs should be saved? This sequel is shaping up to be as visually stunning as the last, but whether it really presents something new for the series or whether it continues to be framed around running away from formerly-extinct creatures remains to be seen.

via GIPHY

Not quite a sequel, but I’m still excited about it anyway:

1. “Ocean’s 8” (release date: June 8, 2018)

This star-studded all-female cast who gather together to pull a heist at the Met Gala looks like the empowering film 2018 needs. Any squad consisting of Sandra Bullock, Anne Hathaway, Rihanna, Cate Blanchett, Sarah Paulson, Helena Bonham Carter, Mindy Kaling and Awkwafina is one I want to be a part of.

via GIPHY