Winter break is the perfect time to catch up on some reading. PHOTO COURTESY OF PIXABAY USER FREE-PHOTOS

If you are like me, you are counting down the days until the end of the semester so you can have a month of bliss with no assignments and no deadlines. While nothing is better than feeling like you can watch Netflix with no guilt, reading over break is the perfect way to keep your mind active and maybe even learn something in between hot chocolate and presents. So, here are a few suggestions to keep you sharp over break.

1. “Outliers” by Malcolm Gladwell

I think this is a book that everyone should read at least once, since it shows that extraordinary success comes from a combination of factors. Gladwell writes in an engaging way that keeps you interested and invested in these stories of success. It’s the perfect read before coming back to push yourself in the spring semester.

1. “The Secret History” by Donna Tartt

If you prefer fiction, this suspenseful novel is ideal. It is set in a New England college town and will show you how far a group of friends will go to get away from their ordinary lives.

1. “The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment” by Eckhart Tolle

This is another book that can shift your mindset before starting the new semester on the right foot. College can be seriously anxiety-inducing, but this book provides some strategies to refocus your mind and stay calm.

1. “The Little Prince” by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Famous for more than 70 years, this is the story of an adult who meets his inner child, “The Little Prince.” It’s a heartwarming philosophical journey that is worth the read.

1. “The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo” by Stieg Larsson

For thrill-seekers, use the break to delve into this international bestseller. With an unexpected twist and a badass main character, this will definitely keep you entertained as the snow falls.