the only thing this winter wonderland needs is the right playlist. PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS. 

As the days shorten and the nights grow colder, winter is quickly approaching. With that in mind, here are 10 songs about winter to get you through this cold, cold Boston weather.

1.     “I Do Not Care for the Winter Sun” by Beach House

Alt-rock meets Christmas on this Beach House rarity that discusses what really matters this time of year. It’s not about the season itself, but who you spend it with.

1.     “The Blizzard of ’96” by The Walkmen

Sleigh bells mixed with the soft chords of a piano make for this Walkmen classic that explains the downside of staying in during a winter snow storm.

1.     “St. Brick Intro” by Gucci Mane

Last year, “East Atlanta Santa” came back and gifted us this number. Who knew that all we actually needed for Christmas was a trap remix of “Jingle Bells.”

1.     “Winter ’05” by Ra Ra Riot

The seasons on earth are more or less the same in length, but the short days and long nights of winter make it feel like the longest of the four. Ra Ra Riot speaks on the idea of spending a long winter alone while wishing for the company of another person.

1.     “Winter Song” by Nico

Sounding like it came from the 19th century, Nico gets quite transcendental with her lyrics, heavy with imagery of a winter landscape.

1.     “The Fox in the Snow” by Belle and Sebastian

Belle and Sebastian are known for being lyrically gifted, and this song is a perfect example. To put it simply, “The Fox in the Snow” is about enjoying winter, but that is a near-oversimplification, considering the song’s complexity.

1.     “White Winter Hymnal” by Birdy

Fleet Foxes did it first and Birdy went and did it differently. She took the folk song and made it a winter pop hit that works in her benefit.

1.     “Winter Song” by The Head and the Heart

There are hundreds of songs titled “Winter Song” (there are two on just this playlist alone), but The Head and the Heart made one of the few good ones. The band sticks to their mountain folk sound and waves away the summer to embrace whatever winter brings.

1.     “Misty” by Johnny Mathis

Mathis’ dreamy vocals could melt ice on a cold winter day. This is a song that I imagine plays in the background as two lovebirds stroll down a snowy road.

1.  “29 #Strafford APTS” by Bon Iver

Bon Iver makes music for the winter. The distance in the song and lyrics mirror the coolness of the winter. Even with the distance, Bon Iver keeps listeners close with the rise and fall of the vocals and synth add-ins.

Playlist to embed:

https://open.spotify.com/user/archelle99/playlist/1Trp3fmv115CVvyW3gbSyc