If you’re anything like me, you’re fed up with this current administration and need some sort of relief. For me, I’ve taken up Aaron Sorkin’s “The West Wing,” and by far, this is the best decision I’ve made in 2017.

“The West Wing” is everything a show needs to be: intriguing, informative and absolutely incredible. The show is set in the West Wing of the White House and follows the lives of fictional Democratic President Josiah Bartlet and his senior aides over two administrative terms. The political drama consists of seven seasons and is currently available on Netflix.

Here are 10 reasons why you should watch “The West Wing.”

1.     It will make you smarter. “The West Wing” is full of political jargon, and Sorkin does not try to sugarcoat the terminology. You are forced to pay attention to the exchange of conversation between the senior aides to fully understand what they are saying.

via GIPHY

1.     It will make you think. The best part of “The West Wing” is how closely it follows the day-to-day of an actual White House administration. The show makes you think about your views as Sorkin brings up both sides of the arguments introduced, even though the show is following a Democratic administration.

via GIPHY

1.     You will fall in love with the characters. Even though they work for the most powerful man in the world, they’re regular people at their core. They’re people who laugh, cry, and just like everybody else, they’re just trying to figure it out. Sorkin brings a very human element to all the characters by making them somewhat susceptible to the happenings around them.

via GIPHY

1.     It will make you laugh. “The West Wing” isn’t particularly a comedy, but there are golden moments of humor in each episode. Whether it’s Josh Lyman’s sarcastic banter, Toby Ziegler’s cynicism, or Sam Seaborn’s quirky remarks, there’s a bit of humor bringing light to what is quite serious conversation.

via GIPHY

1.     It will make you cry. That’s part of falling in love with the characters — if they’re in pain, you’re in pain, and sometimes, “The West Wing” is painful. It’s not easy being responsible for the wellbeing of the entire planet, so it’s normal for the characters to have their human moments and breakdowns on occasion.

via GIPHY

1.     You will love the story. It’s a good one. On the surface, the show is just about a president and all the people who work for him, but secondary to that are all the stories that keep you coming back. Without the conflicts with spouses, boyfriends/girlfriends, family members, etc., it would just be a U.S. government 101 video.

via GIPHY

1.     It will teach you a thing or two. Seeing the day-to-day of the senior aides helps viewers understand what a press secretary does beyond press conferences, for example. Conversations with congresswomen introduce viewers to how pieces of legislation are crafted. Because of the high-brow political conversation, you have the opportunity to learn more about the U.S. government.

via GIPHY

1.     It will make you appreciate good TV. Sorkin is a brilliant writer. He knows how to move from scene to scene, keeping viewers’ attention for the whole 45 minutes. The dialogue between the characters is smart, and the actors’ chemistry with one another makes for an incredible show.

via GIPHY

1.     It will help you understand. Now more than ever, people are politically engaged and eager to learn about what is going on inside the White House. “The West Wing” provides insight to this in a safe, comprehensible way.

via GIPHY

1.  It will make you want to do more. “The West Wing” will make you want to do more as the show unveils the extent of issues in the nation. Although the first episode aired more than 20 years ago, we are still having the same conversations over the same issues today. The show makes you think about this and makes you want to seek out more information on how you can make a difference.

via GIPHY