Homesickness doesn’t just mean missing family; it can also mean missing the place you used to call home. PHOTO COURTESY MAXPIXEL

About three weeks into the semester, homesickness hit me. The newness of college was wearing off, my workload was building up, and suddenly being away from my family didn’t hold the same appeal that it did in August. For a week I groaned and sulked and felt bad for myself, but eventually I got over the hump and college again became exciting. I was ready to meet new people and explore Boston. However, when I embarked on my quest to get off campus and do something with all my free time, another wave of homesickness hit me. Except this one is notably different, so for that reason I’m calling it homesickness 2.0.

You might be wondering: what is homesickness 2.0? It pretty much affects you the same way homesickness does, but it’s not tied to the absence of your family. It’s when you start to miss the actual place you’re from, not just the people who live there. For instance, I’m from New York City and — as much as I try — I can’t stop comparing Boston things to New York things.

One of the biggest things is the T. Every time I ride it, I can’t help but think how much faster the subway is. Or when I walk to West Campus there’s a street by the BU Bridge called Essex Street, and coincidentally there also happens to be an Essex Street in my neighborhood. The last example I can think of is the lack of stores that are open for 24 hours. The CVS closes too early for me. What if I need to make a 2 a.m. ice cream run?

Homesickness 2.0 is the result of a buildup of little things; it didn’t hit me all at once like homesickness 1.0. I was prepared to miss my family, since it’s something commonly associated with the first semester of freshman year. But I wasn’t expecting to miss my city. In fact, I specifically didn’t apply to colleges in the city because I wanted to get out of there and experience something new. While I don’t regret that decision, it was a lot easier of a choice to make when I was still living there.  

As Thanksgiving break approaches, I can feel myself looking forward to more than home cooked meals and reunions with old friends. I can hardly wait to take a walk on the East River, go to Soho and take insta-worthy pictures, or chill on a bench in Tompkins Square Park.