When is it to early to fart in front of your roommate? PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Since starting college, I have been getting to know someone more intimately than I ever have before. We were first introduced at orientation and instantly clicked. Now after months of sharing snacks, details of our lives and various jokes, I think it’s time to take our relationship to the next level.

I’m ready to fart in front of my roommate.

This has been a long time coming. Back home I burped when I felt like it, farted when I needed to and indulged in a messy room frequently. That all changed when I came to college.

I now have to self-regulate. If I want to burp, I hold it in. If I need to fart, I go to the bathroom. Every weekend I tidy up my room so it doesn’t become the disaster I’m accustomed to at home.

A couple of weeks ago I almost brought us to the next level after eating some Mexican food at a local restaurant, but the time wasn’t right. We weren’t ready. I wasn’t ready.

I have done my best to take this relationship slow and not rush anything.

The time has come, though, and I couldn’t happier. This is a moment I have been waiting for since stepping foot into my room on move-in day.

You see, college is bizarre. It’s overwhelming in the best way possible. You meet more people in that first week than you have your entire life, and before you know it, you’re almost done with first semester and you can’t remember the name of the kid you talk to every day in your Writing 100 class.

The greatest part is that for the first time I feel like I’m making friends with people because we are genuinely like-minded instead of it just being convenient. Do you know that feeling when you walk in somewhere and all of a sudden it feels like you can breathe because you’ve found a place where you belong? I have felt that more in my short time here than in my four years of high school back home.  

Don’t get me wrong; I love my friends back home. I have memories with them that I will cherish for a long time. But here, I just fit.

Maybe it’s because I talk with the same people every day. Or maybe it’s because we have a freedom that wasn’t there in high school. Or maybe there’s no larger explanation and we’re just made to be friends.

Whatever the reason is, I know that the people I’m friends with here have 3,399 other people they could be friends with in our year and they decided to be friends with me. That means a lot to me.

I have found my place.

I can finally breathe.

I can fart in front of my roommate.