Ayodele Abinusawa is very tall, and would like to explain why being short isn’t actually that bad. PHOTO BY CHLOE GRINBERG/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Dear Short People,

It’s come to my attention that a “Dear Tall People” letter was also published today (if you haven’t seen it you can read it here). Now, as a tall person myself, I can confidently say that short people don’t know how good they have it. Yes, we can reach the cans on the top shelf of cabinets, but it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.

I mean, first of all, you have legroom. Airplanes, buses, stadium seating, the list goes on. I once got upgraded to premium economy seating on a flight and got an extra two inches of space. It was a life-changing experience, having all that freedom. I could finally cross my legs. Legroom space wasn’t made for tall people — maybe 5-foot-7-inch people can be comfortable on planes, max. But if I could shrink my legs by three inches, I definitely would. It’s one of those things you don’t notice until you have to deal with it and let me tell you, it’s not so great to deal with it.

Then there’s jeans (and pretty much just pants in general). I have to buy all my pants online because they don’t sell my inseam in stores. Now if you’re really petite than I know that it’s also hard to find clothes in stores, but most short people can waltz into their local H&M and pick up a new pair. I, however, have to find a pair online and hope that my size is still in stock — spoiler: it usually isn’t — and then wait five to seven days for shipping. Plus, if it looks different than the online photo, then I have to return it and repeat the process. I got a pair of black jeans two days ago, but I started looking for them in August.

Plus, towering over people at concerts makes me feel bad. I wish that concert halls were on a ramp, that way everyone could see. Though I guess then if one person tripped it would cause a whole domino effect of people falling. Maybe a bleacher-style set up would work better? Anyway, not being able to see isn’t fun, I get that. But neither is having someone glare at the back of your head.

Sure, being tall has its perks, but so does being short. Everybody always thinks that the grass is greener on the other side, but I think that the grass is equally green on either side. Though short people’s grass might be greener — the jeans struggle is so intense.

Lastly, I do want to apologize for running into you. You’re just not in my line of sight, and I know that’s not a good excuse but … that’s pretty much the only one I’ve got. I’m sorry, I’ll try to do better.

Sincerely,

A Tall Person