Winter break has come to a close and now it’s time to buckle down to tackle another semester. Looking back at that month-long break from responsibility, I have to acknowledge that I would not have been able to survive if I didn’t have an awesome relationship with my mom. She inspired this article, so here are some other fantastic benefits that stem from being so close with your mom:

You always have someone to talk to.

Your mom is the outlet that you can vent all of your problems to, and she’ll never judge you for any of it. It doesn’t matter if you’re complaining about a sudden homework overload when all you wanted to do was watch Netflix that weekend, or if you’re going through a rough patch with your friends. Your mom will listen regardless of the problem, and she’ll lend a word of advice if you need it.

She’s your strongest support system.

Your mom is your biggest fan, and she will support you no matter what you decide to do, whether it’s applying to write for your school’s newspaper or applying for an internship at Google. She’s going to cheer you on until the end of time, and she’s going to be the loudest cheerleader you’ll ever hear, because you’re her child and she believes in you even if you don’t always believe in yourself.

Need a reality check? No problem.

We all get lost and overwhelmed with things sometimes, and your mom is the one who’s unafraid to step up and tell you how it really is. We can’t simultaneously have both an insider’s and an outsider’s perspective. Your mom will not hesitate to step up and provide an objective opinion if that’s what you need in the moment. Your mom picks up on a lot of things happening around you even when you can’t. She can help you make some tough decisions by providing logic and a viewpoint different from the one inside your head.

A good relationship with your mother allows an irreplacable lifetime best friend. PHOTO via FLIKR USER BLOGONLINE

A good relationship with your mother allows an irreplaceable lifetime best friend. PHOTO via FLIKR USER BLOGONLINE

She’s a chief financial officer with a heart of gold.

Your mom will always be there to catch your bank account before it plunges below zero and lend you a little bit of extra cash if you really need it. Likewise, she’ll also always be there to breathe down your neck as you fill out five new job applications. Once you’ve completed that harrowing task, she’ll take you shopping on Newbury Street and treat you to a nice lunch at Cafeteria Boston to remind you to keep your chin up.

You’ve always got a best friend.

When it comes down to it, the sad truth is that you can’t trust everyone, but you can always trust your mom to be there for you and laugh at your lame jokes before cracking a few herself. She’s got this whole “life” thing figured out way more than you do, and she’s more than willing to give you advice on how to make the most of it. She provides a shoulder to cry on when you can’t cry to anyone else, and she’ll make you a big pot of soup afterward to help you restore some of the fluids you lost. Ultimately, your mom is happy to share her world with you because she loves you, and a mother’s love is the best thing in the world. It’s what cookies are made of.