Donald Trump made several statements threatening to cut federal funding for Planned Parenthood. PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER PLANNEDP.

I don’t know about you, but I woke up Wednesday morning after three hours of sleep feeling great and ready to face the world. Just kidding — I felt awful, and I bet most people reading this did as well. While we’ve all started coming to terms with the fact that we elected an anthropomorphized Cheeto to be the next leader of the free world, coming to terms with this election on a personal level isn’t enough. The lives of people of color, women, immigrants and LGBT people are threatened by the election of a man who openly panders to white nationalists, anti-Semites, homophobes, xenophobes, racists and misogynists. So it’s time to roll up our sleeves and get to work by supporting organizations committed to helping these groups, because it’s going to be a long four years:

1. Planned Parenthood

One of the most immediate threats to women in the wake of Donald Trump’s election is the potential for women’s access to healthcare to be scaled back. Specifically, by taking away federal funding for Planned Parenthood. Donate to Planned Parenthood here (and if I may make a suggestion, donating in the name of Trump’s anti-choice vice president Mike Pence is a fun one, though feel free to do it in the name of any person you please). If you can’t donate, Planned Parenthood in Boston is also currently looking for Health Center Advocacy Volunteers.

2. Boston Center for Refugee Health and Human Rights

The Boston Center for Refugee Health and Human Rights is an organization that provides health care, social services and legal aid for refugees and asylum seekers in the area. Considering what Trump has said about refugees during his campaign, this too is a group of people threatened by his impending presidency. Here is some information on their volunteer and internship opportunities and here is the link to donate. 

3. Jane Doe Inc.

Jane Doe Inc. is a Massachusetts-based organization that focuses on addressing domestic violence and sexual assault by both helping survivors and addressing the root causes of this violence. Considering our president-elect bragged about sexually assaulting women, this is another good cause to pay attention to. Donate here, volunteer here and look at internship opportunities here.

4. Greater Boston PFLAG

Greater Boston PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) is an organization committed to creating an inclusive and understanding environment for LGBT people in the Boston area through support meetings, confidential telephone support and teacher and student training. VP-in-waiting Mike Pence has a frankly horrendous background when it comes to LGBT rights, so supporting PFLAG post-election is one way to fight back. Donate here, volunteer here and consider internship opportunities here.

5. American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts

The ACLU works to preserve individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution. Considering that Trump’s understanding of the Constitution is probably as good as my understanding of hockey, this is a good time to support the ACLU. Volunteer here and donate here.