Recovering from your post-election blues? This playlist has classic and hopeful songs to get you out of your slump. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

No matter which side you were on, the election results came as a shock to everyone. Unfortunately, many have been feeling hopeless, distressed and fearful since Nov. 8, and rightfully so. It seems like every time I go online, I come across another viral post about someone facing discrimination for being Muslim, Jewish, African-American or a woman. This divide between American citizens is upsetting, to say the least. However, we must stay motivated, maintain high hopes and be inspired to continue to do what’s right for all people, so here’s a playlist that will hopefully set that tone:

1. “Walk” by the Foo Fighters

You know that rush of adrenaline you feel when a song really resonates with you? That’s what “Walk” does for me (really, it’s in my top three favorite songs ever). There is an awe-inspiring quality to Dave Grohl’s voice (isn’t there always, though?) as he sings about picking yourself back up, dusting yourself off and starting over again. Equally as impressive are the instruments in the background, coming together to make a really powerful statement.

2. “One Tribe” by The Black Eyed Peas

I figured we could use an alternative to the all-time classic “Where Is the Love?” and in fact, I actually find that “One Tribe” is a pretty underrated song. Sure, it’s not as tear-jerking or emotionally raw as “Where Is the Love?” but its message is upbeat and direct: it doesn’t matter what you look like or where you come from, because we are all one and the same.

3. “Freedom” by Beyoncé feat. Kendrick Lamar

Beyoncé’s voice is so strong and moving that she hardly even needs lyrics to evoke emotion. That being said, the words to this tune definitely help set the tone; it’s dark, dwelling in the realm of oppression, yet tough and inspiring, ready to fight for justice. You can find this track on Tidal or iTunes.

4. “Bridge Over Troubled Water” by Simon and Garfunkel

The beautiful thing about this song is that it’s extremely interpersonal. It’s all about one person being there for another, through the good times and the bad. It’s all about support, love, shelter and security.

5. “Above the Clouds of Pompeii” by Bear’s Den

“Don’t cry / Hold your head up high,” are the lyrics that make up a good chunk of the chorus. Fair warning: if you watch the music video, you’re going to want to grab a box of tissues to dry your eyes from the sweetness and sadness of it all.

6. “Something Good Can Work” by Two Door Cinema Club

I’m sure you’ve heard this song a bunch of times, but if you’re like me, you never actually realized how inspirational the words are. I love how its music is upbeat, making you smile and get on your feet. Also, the message is pretty much saying that you can get out there and make things happen.

7. “Imagine” by John Lennon

Literally, there is no description necessary. You’ll feel like Lennon is preaching to the choir with this one.

8. “Solidarity” from the musical “Billy Elliot”

Yes, this is a show tune, but if you can get through the jabber that comes as a packaged deal with musical songs, you’ll see why it’s so fitting for this playlist. Just to give you some background, the show is about a kid named Billy who grows up in a family or miners, but wants to be a ballet dancer. “Solidarity” takes place when the miners, angry with the police, are protesting, and the two groups of men basically sing at each other. The chorus is strong, empowering and impactful.

9. “Don’t Look Back In Anger” by Oasis

Oasis isn’t exactly easy to figure out, but this song is meant to acknowledge that you’ve made mistakes before, but you can’t look at your past and be angry at it. Rather, you must learn to move on and work with the cards you’ve been dealt.

10. “Blowin’ In the Wind” by Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan is just a master lyricist. “Blowin’ In the Wind” was actually huge during the civil rights movement of the 60s, but maintains its timelessness by proclaiming a more positive, accepting message. It says that you can’t always understand the way the world works, so you must accept it and make peace with it.

11. “Move Along” by The All-American Rejects

Who can forget this 2005 hit? During rough times, sometimes it’s nice to just have a song that you know the lyrics to. It gives you something else to say and think about for a while. Also, its lyrics couldn’t be more applicable. When you’re feeling hopeless and distressed, just keep on going and you’ll get through it every time.

12. “Man In the Mirror” by Michael Jackson

This song’s lyrics talk about making the world a better place, and what time could be more relevant for this than now? With so many emotions running rampant throughout the country, we need to look toward positive changes that will benefit everyone. This will make our society positive and strong.