The ending results of the 2016 election are finally upon us. A lot of us are displeased, a lot of us are happy and the majority of us are just glad that the dang thing is finally over. Whatever way you slice it, our country is kind of a mess right now, and we’re pretty divided. In order to understand and somewhat define this chaos, I called upon the words of “Hamilton,” the great Broadway musical that depicts the life of its namesake. Here are 10 quotes from the amazing production that really define what it’s like to be an American right now:

1. “Awesome, wow”

gif via TENOR.

gif via TENOR.

Said by the well-articulated and rather violent King George III, many Americans are sarcastically remarking how great it is that Republican Donald Trump is now our president-elect, mostly because he wasn’t supposed to win in the slightest. God, America sure does love some good irony.   

2. “History has its eyes on you”

No matter how you feel about the election results, everyone can agree that whatever Trump does in office will affect the course of our nation for better or for worse. I’m sure even the Founding Fathers are just a little nervous about what’s to come.

3. “Can we get back to politics? (Please?)”

There has been such a large emphasis on the hatred and the violence that has come up since the polls came in officially, but I’m sure many are hoping that we can simply get back to the political side of the affair (even though that’s what started the whole problem in the first place).

4. “I hope that you burn”

gif via TUMBLR.

gif via TUMBLR.

A lot of people vigorously wish Trump was not our future president, and the backlash against him has caused even the closest of families to break out into fights filled with pure hatred and venom. A lot of hate is becoming laced in the story of our country, and while it may be justified in some aspects, it is breaking apart our people.   

5. “Wait for it”

There’s a possibility that Trump may surprise us all (hopefully), and perhaps lead us to an even better tomorrow. If you don’t believe that this is possible, looks like you’ll just have to wait for the 2020 election (Kanye for president, anyone?).  

6. “Why do you assume you’re the smartest in the room?”

Everyone thinks that their own opinion is totally correct, and it’s either their way or the highway. Because of this, people’s self-esteem has greatly inflated. It has become almost impossible to deflate them, even if you provide evidence that directly contradicts what they’re saying.

7. “Helpless”

gif via TENOR.

gif via TENOR.

Perhaps one of the worst things about the results is that so many different groups of people feel helpless when it comes to their future. Many feel as though they don’t have control of what’s to come, and that’s truly frightening.

8. “My dog speaks more eloquently”

Insults are becoming more and more commonplace these days, and this one is a personal favorite of mine. I think everyone should really bring this into his or her life the next time you fight with a relative on Facebook.

9. “You’re on your own”

Countries across the world have been making a joke out of Trump throughout the whole election process, and this is the icing on the cake. Only the future can tell if our allies will stand by with our new leader.

10.“I will never be satisfied”

Perhaps the battle cry of this election, many people will not accept Trump as our president, and refuse to let his presidency shape their lives in a negative way. People protest until they will truly be heard by Trump and his supporters, and until the issues that they support are brought to the surface.

gif via TUMBLR.

gif via TUMBLR.