Study lounges are meant to serve as quiet, comfortable places for students to efficiently tackle all of the work they have to do for their classes. Study lounges should allow students to escape from distractions that could put their productivity in jeopardy. In order to do this, here are 5 things should be avoided when inside one of these important places.

1. Invade someone else’s study territory.

Every backpack sitting on top of a table represents the temporary ownership of the study territory, much like how a country’s flag is placed on unclaimed land to mark proprietorship. Moving someone’s things on the floor to make room for your own violates an unwritten contract. They are forced to move to the subpar area that is the floor, staring up at you with pure venom. Do not be surprised if they “accidentally” spill boiling tea on you and all of your notes as they pass, because this is war.

2. Practice the art of seduction.

Because nothing screams romance like being surrounded by stressed students cramming for exams and the smell of stale caffeinated beverages lingering in the air. And yet, many people still believe that this is an acceptable place to win over that special someone. Perhaps the boy who has succumbed to sleep deprivation upon a nearby couch and the girl who is drowning in a sea of color-coded index cards add a kind of ambience. Either way, remember that as you suck face within the study lounge, no fewer than 13 pairs of tired eyes are watching you and wondering why you are settling for the person who thinks that passion and public study locations are correlated in some way. 

3. Eat noisy foods.

In this quiet environment, every bite of that kettle-cooked potato chip you take sounds like gunfire. Whenever a loud crunch or chew is heard, people who were previously buried in textbooks snap up their heads and survey the room with wide eyes like a clan of meerkats. You have single handedly committed the mass murder of everyone’s focus. If you truly are about to keel over from starvation, I suggest trying to eat quieter snacks such as Jet-Puffed Marshmallows and air.

4. Yell into your phone.

When you receive a phone call, it would be very much appreciated if you took it outside. You might believe that there is no better place to catch up with a friend who lives on other side of the country and begin screaming pleasantries into your cellular device. Let me stop you there. First of all, at your current volume you probably do not even need the cell phone. Your friend living in California can probably hear you just fine without it. Second of all, the only people who are allowed to talk loudly and dramatically on cell phones in public locations are stock brokers and soap opera characters. You do not belong to either category so please take your call elsewhere. Everyone will be very thankful.

5. Miscellaneous loud activities.

These activities can include but are not limited to: tap dancing, Tuvan throat singing, the game of Jenga, jazz band practice, pyrotechnics, bowling, testing out your air horn, testing out your flare gun, testing out your leaf blower and many, many more. If you thought a study lounge was a good place to do any of these activities and you now feel as though you no longer have a safe space to do any of these things, please let me know. I will be glad to provide you with appropriate places to do all of your favorite things. If you tap dance, I hear there is a delightful hardwood floor in a lecture hall in CGS. If you are a Tuvan throat singer, the acoustics in Kenmore Station will do wonders for your sound. There are many better places to do all of your favorite things without disturbing others who are trying to improve their study habits.