Over a recent long weekend, I went to Washington, D.C. with my roommate. Before my trip, I planned and researched information on websites and East Coast tour books. The first thing I did was reserve a Megabus ticket. Its a 10-hour bus ride from here to Washington. It was tiring, but worth it. Here are the seven best spots I saw during my trip in the nations capital.

1. U.S. Capitol Building

PHOTO BY NAEUN KIM/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF.

Washington, D.C. is known as a political city. Most of its buildings are glorious and elegant. Pro tip: if you visit a place that you dont know too well, I suggest talking to security guards or people around you to learn more about the building or landmark they work at.

2. Washington Monument

The Washington Monument is the symbol of D.C. If visiting for the first time, you can easily find tourist destinations near the Washington Monument because its at the center of D.C.s tourist spots. Theres also an observatory where you can go to the top floor and enjoy a panoramic view of D.C.

3. Lincoln Memorial

Abraham Lincolns achievement were countless, and Americans admire him for his anti-slavery declaration, the Emancipation Proclamation. When you go to the Lincoln Memorial, you can see a big statue of Lincoln. You can even sit on the floor of the Lincoln Memorial, and see the Washington Monument and enjoy the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool. I cannot forget this scene because it was literally beautiful.

4. Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum

I didnt know much about planes and aerospace before visiting this museum. After walking through, I was especially impressed with one exhibition hall featuring the Wright Brothers and the first red airplane they built. I think anyone who has interests in air and space will truly enjoy this place.

5. Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History

I was overwhelmed when I first stepped into the center of the museum and saw an elephant that weighs over eight tons. With animals that look like theyve come back to life, this museum also holds the treasured Hope Diamond. Theres also a Korean exhibition, and anyone who doesnt know much about Korean culture can learn lots of things from this exhibit.

6. The Pentagon

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

9/11 was the most tragic event in U.S. history. At the National 9/11 Pentagon Memorial, the victims of a hijacked airplane that hit the Pentagon are remembered. Each victims age was included in the memorial, and the youngest victim was only 10 months old. This memorial made me say a prayer for the victims and think about 9/11 for a moment.

7. Founding Farmers

Founding Farmers is a famous restaurant with a long wait line to prove it. Theyre most famous for their chicken and waffles. The chicken was so crispy and the waffles were so soft, making a perfect combination on my plate. Their butternut squash mascarpone ravioli was also delicious, and made my stomach happy.