The Kardashians are very open about themselves to the public (or at least that’s the image they portray). From witnessing their family drama on “Keeping Up with the Kardashians,” to fawning over their vacations on Instagram and Snapchat, it’s like we know them personally. So, it seemed natural when Khloé Kardashian Instagrammed a photo of her and her man, NBA player Tristan Thompson, wearing his Cleveland Cavaliers championship rings. That is, until Oct. 3 happened.

In case you forgot (although I cannot imagine anyone has), on Oct. 3, Kim Kardashian West was held at gunpoint and robbed in Paris. Many believe that she was an easy target due to a photo she posted on Instagram of her 20-carat diamond ring, given to her by Kanye West. Whether or not that can be proved, it couldn’t have helped her case. Posting such a flashy photo is essentially advertising to thieves what they should add to their bucket lists.

THE 2014 AMERICAN MUSIC AWARDS(r) - "The 2014 American Music Awards" broadcasts live from the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE, SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 23 (8:00-11:00 p.m. ET/PT), on ABC. (Image Group LA/ABC) KHLOE KARDASHIAN

PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER DISNEY | ABC TELEVISION GROUP (Image Group LA/ABC)

Of course, this was a horrible and traumatic experience, and I don’t blame Kim for reducing social media activity afterwards (in fact, she hasn’t posted on Instagram in four weeks). I thought this tragedy would have been a wake-up call for all social media users, reminding us that aside from worrying about what our parents or bosses might see, we have to be careful about our safety. That message, however, seems to not have resonated with Khloé.

You would assume that if anyone were to become more social-media-cautious after Kim was robbed, it would be Kim’s family. Less than a month later, however, Khloé broadcasted that lavish photo on Instagram. Two comments even highlighted the irony of her post, with users writing, “Didn’t Kim just get robbed for doing this” and “Apparently you didn’t learn anything from what happened to your sister. You should be careful what you post.”

I agree with these commenters. By posting such an extravagant piece of jewelry, Khloé is basically showing a lack of care about her sister’s robbery. It’s as if she did not bother to process the traumatic experience, but rather decided to go on with her life and not take into consideration Kim’s tragedy. It’s a bit insensitive, don’t you think?

More alarming is the danger she could be putting herself (and Thompson) into. By promoting her possessions she, too, makes herself a target. Now I’m sure that the Kardashians have hiked up their security since Kim was robbed, but still: why is it worth the risk?

By the same token, I can understand why Khloé might have posted the photo. Like I said, being extremely open with the public seems to be the Kardashian mantra, so I don’t think she was trying to be insensitive. Instead, she probably just wants to not let fear hold her back from maintaining the image she and her klan have built up. That being said, sometimes it’s not fear that prevents us from doing something — it’s sensibility. Also, it just wasn’t sensible for Khloé to post such a detailed photo of something so expensive. If this photo were shot from a further distance, I could understand it as a small accessory of her outfit. If she posted this a few months from now, it would have been even more tasteful, but less than a month since Kim’s robbery is just too soon.