Nintendo on Thursday revealed its new and long anticipated console, the Nintendo Switch. Previously code-named NX, the Nintendo Switch will be released in March 2017. The message here is clear: Nintendo want to revolutionize the video game consoles of this generation. Unlike Nintendos main rivals, Nintendo wants to create a combination of a home console and a portable console. Sonys PlayStation 4 and Microsofts Xbox One are merely home consoles, but their graphical fidelity far surpasses those of Nintendos consoles.

Nintendo has failed to compete in the gaming market since the release of the Wii. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

Nintendos current console, Wii U, is not performing well compared to the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One. Surprisingly, Nintendos portable console, the Nintendo 3DS, is performing supremely well in its market. Merging these two markets makes the new Nintendo console unique. Although the specifications of the Nintendo Switch have not been released, itll probably still be the inferior hardware compared to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. This will not be surprising, however, since Nintendo historically has created inferior consoles compared to its competitors.

What Nintendo excels at is its first party games, such as the The Legend of Zelda, Super Smash Bros and Super Mario Kart. These games are iconic and drive consumers to buy Nintendos consoles. While Sony and Microsoft are creating high-end consoles, Nintendo capitalizes on its family-friendly home entertainment. Although its great that video games are getting more realistic, we should not forget the central reason for playing video games: for the fun of it.

My first ever console I ever owned was the PlayStation 2 back in 2002. I have fond memories of playing games on this console, such as Mega Man and Tony Hawk. Then, I owned the Nintendo Wii in 2009 and the PlayStation 3 in 2011. Back then, there was more free time for me to play video games. Now, Im a bit busy doing school work, however, I return to them here and there to escape from my problems. Im excited about the future of video games, and it would be interesting if there were any responses from Sony or Microsoft. The Nintendo Switch is an innovative step and a new way of play, at and away from home.