By Claudia Pascual

People usually experience the stages of grief after the loss of a loved one; however some people experience these feelings when watching Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump speak at a debate. As a Puerto Rican and Latina, every time I listen to Trump, I go through these fives stages of grief.

1. Anger

Did he just say “bad hombres?!” Loca, hold my earrings! As Donald Trump started interrupting queen Hillary and speaking in tongues, I could feel my fiery blood bubbling in disgust and rage. I tried to be serene and keep my peace like Hillary, but with a man like him, I could only curse at the television thinking it could hear me and that he would understand the absurdity of his offensive language.

2. Denial

No, this guy is not running for president. No, this racist celebrity did not just call Hillary a “nasty woman.” No, there cannot be a candidate that resembles the craziness of Trujillo, Pinochet or Chávez. This is just a nightmare and soon I will wake up. No, this is not actually happening. Is he trying to turn America’s democracy into a dictatorship? This is impossible.

3. Bargaining

Dios mío. I know I never pray, but please, pretty please with merengue on top, do not let Donald Trump win. I swear on Puerto Rico’s angel, Ricky Martin, that if Donald Trump loses, I will call my grandmother every day for the rest of my life. I will go back home to Puerto Rico and help clean my house. Dios padre, if you have the power to convince U.S. citizens that Trump is the most offensive joke that has ever happened, I will stop eating rice and beans and plátanos. OK, I take that back. Not the plátanos. Never the plátanos.

4. Depression

The American people have chosen a spoiled, bigoted man-child as their possible next president. The little hope I had left has disappeared like the old Shakira. This is it. Adiós Latin American communities in the United States. Adiós authentic taco and arepa food trucks. Adiós beautiful Hispanic diversity. I never thought Trump, not La Muerte, would be the end of my life.

5. Acceptance

To accept that Donald Trump is running for president of the United States is to accept that so is #GirlBoss Hillary. They say history repeats itself, but I believe that as humanity progresses, so does its capacity to learn from its mistakes. I have not only accepted the fact that a racist man that has been accused of sexual harassment is running for president, but also the fact that Hillary is going to win. As a Latina, it doesn’t surprise me that there are people out there that support Trump’s ideas. Even though it’s 2016, we live in a world were racism and xenophobia are deeply rooted in every culture’s history.

However, to accept our reality does not mean to succumb to it. It is our responsibility to educate ourselves about our history as Latinos and Americans and change the future for the better. Even if it seems impossible to change something as broad and big as the future, you as a human being have rights that give you the power to change the course of history. One of those rights is voting. So on Nov. 8, do yourself a favor and put a little check next to Hillary Clinton’s name.