At Boston University, the dining halls are loved by many students because it offers various foods that are delicious and internationally based. Sometimes, the dining hall holds events such as #DimSumDay, which features Chinese food. But what about Korean food? I will show you some Korean foods that can be made easily in the dining hall and at your home.

1. Bibimbap

Bibimbap is a popular Korean food many foreigners enjoy. It can be eaten during any season, all year round. It’s also easy to make if you find the right ingredients. Bibimbap is usually eaten with gochujang, a spicy red pepper paste. Instead, you can use Sriracha sauce from the dining hall to add a spice to your meal.

Ingredients: Rice, cucumber, carrots, squash, lettuce, egg, soybean sprouts, mushrooms, chopped beef and Sriracha sauce

Steps:

1. Get ingredients from the dining hall.

2. Put sticky rice in bowl. Add vegetables and beef.

3. Add a fried egg on top.

4. Drizzle with Sriracha sauce for spice.

2. Gimbap

Gimbap is made from steamed white rice (bap) and various other ingredients, rolled in gim (sheets of dried laver seaweed) and served in bite-sized slices. Gimbap is often eaten during picnics or outdoor events and served with danmuji or kimchi. Koreans especially love eating Gimbap with spicy ramen. The most popular Gimbap variations are tuna Gimbap and Bulgogi Gimbap.

gif via TUMBLR.

gif via TUMBLR.

Ingredients: Rice, carrots, cucumber, pickled radish, ham, thin omelette, spinach, dried laver (seaweed), sesame oil, salt, and soy sauce

Steps:

1. Mix sticky rice with a little sesame oil, salt and soy sauce.

2. Make a thin omelette, then cut the omelette into thin slices.

3. Stir-fry carrots, cucumbers, spinach and ham in a preheated pan for 3 minutes.

4. Lay down a sheet of seaweed and spread rice flat over the sheet.

5. Pile carrots, cucumbers, pickled radish, ham, spinach and the thinned omelette on the seaweed.

6. Roll up the seaweed and cut it into bite-sized pieces.

3. Bulgogi

Bulgogi is a barbecue dish of thinly sliced beef that is pre-marinated with various seasonings on a hot barbecue pan. Bulgogi has been popular since the 1950s when the beef was served in thin slices to make it more tender and to cut down the waiting time for diners. Bulgogi is a classic Korean dish. 

Ingredients: Sliced beef or pork, onions, scallions, mushrooms, carrots, soy sauce, sugar, cooking wine, black pepper, garlic, honey and lettuce.

Steps:

1. Add soy sauce, chopped garlic, honey and sugar in a bowl.

2. Slice beef or pork into thin pieces and marinate in bowl.

3. Marinate for 30 minutes.

4. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of sesame oil onto hot pan.

5. Put marinated beef/pork and sauce in pan.

6. When meat is ready, add sliced onions, mushrooms and carrots for taste.

7. Put meat on plate. Add scallions and black pepper to dish.

4. Tteokguk

Tteokguk is a traditional Korean soup dish that is eaten during the Korean New Year. It is tradition to eat this soup on New Year’s Day because it’s believed to give you an additional year of life and bring luck in the forthcoming year. The rice cakes are also known for their chewy textures.

Ingredients: Rice cake, beef, egg, seaweed, chopped green onion, soy sauce, sesame salt and sesame oil

Steps:

1. Boil water and throw in thin beef slices and chopped green onion.

2. Put in the rice cake, then break an egg into the pot and stir.

3. Drop in 1/2 spoon of soy sauce, 2 teaspoons of sesame salt and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil.

4. When the rice cakes become chewy, sprinkle sliced seaweed on top.

5. Gyeran jjim

Gyeran jjim is a Korean steamed egg casserole this is quite popular and often eaten as a side dish (or “banchan”). Popular ways to cook gyeran jjim include placing a bowl with the ingredients inside a pot of boiling water, but it’s also fine to cook the dish using the microwave.

Ingredients: Eggs, cup water, green onions, salt and red pepper flakes (optional)

Steps:

1. Whisk eggs in a bowl.

2. Add a cup of water into the bowl.

3. Add chopped green onions.

4. Cover the bowl and heat it up in the microwave for seven minutes.