The first and most important part of creating your own bar crawl is finding your friends and figuring out what vibe you’re going for. If you want to keep it casual, stick to Allston. More upscale? Try downtown. There are plenty of places in Boston to explore and definitely more than one place for whatever mood you’re in that evening.

Red Lantern

Maybe I’m just biased because this is where I had my 21st birthday dinner, but it was incredible. It’s a sit down restaurant with a lounge area and I would definitely recommend the lounge area. From fruity drinks in pineapples to amazing food, you and your friends will not be disappointed. The waitress we had was probably more excited to pop champagne for us than we were and definitely made the atmosphere lively.

The Brahmin

This is a cute little club right next to Red Lantern. The music is current, not too remixed and everyone can sing along and have fun. When I went, it wasn’t exactly a hyped-up dance place, but if you’re looking to just have fun with friends, it’s great. If you have a table there, the service is quick and they give you a nice pitcher of water so you won’t die from heat exhaustion surrounded by hundreds of people. It’s a blessing, trust me.

Tavern in the Square

Ah, Tavern in the Square (aka TitS). What a place. Every Thursday, Boston University kids flock to this place. If you’re trying to just have fun and people-watch (because this is the best place for it), you can relax away from the bar at a table with some great food. If you’re more in the mood to have fun with your friends and just enjoy yourself, they have great fishbowls that are bright blue and delicious. This is probably the only place where I felt I could stay for more than two hours. This says a lot, considering my short attention span.

Max Brenner

Who would’ve guessed? There comes a time in every bar crawl when you need chocolate. Whether it’s the chocolate martini, a plain hot chocolate or some amazing cocoa chili powder-covered fries, this place is heaven on earth.

White Horse Tavern

Allston is a mecca of wonderful places for college kids. White Horse has pool tables, a basketball shooting game, TV’s to watch any and every sport imaginable and it’s cheap. If you want to just relax and play around, this is the place. It’s more relaxed than TitS and is probably the most casual of them all.

Lolita Cocina and Tequila Bar

This is definitely the coolest bar I’ve ever seen. The bouncer had a minor in psychology so he was not only keeping the people safe, but also helping us resolve life issues. It’s a Mexican-inspired cocina and bar, but besides being super cool, they have cotton candy. It’s probably the only place that gives you cotton candy at the end of a meal. It’s pretty dark and gothic, but that makes it so unique. If you’re in the mood to try something offbeat and chic, this is the place.

Whisky Saigon

Tables in the front, club in the back. Besides having no cover charge before 10 p.m., this place also has red mood lighting, comfy tables and a fun atmosphere with a twist: when you get bored of relaxing in the front with your friends, you can head back to the dance floor. The music is loud, there’s a lot of people, but hey — they have awesome lights and they occasionally blast the crowd with bubbles, foam or some much needed cold air. Having a dance floor and sit-down restaurant in one place is a godsend in case you want to take a break from the crowds and dancing.

Besides all of these cool places, Boston and Allston have so much to offer before you’re 21. So, until then, enjoy Allston’s mecca of amazing food options and bubble tea places. Boston also has more than enough museums, colleges and culture to keep you amused.