Currently, I’m taking an astronomy class because of course, I want to fulfill my natural science requirement, but taking the class also revitalized my interest in the universe. As we all know, there are eight planets in our solar system. They are unique in their own ways. Here are my rankings for the planets in the solar system:

8. Mercury

Mercury is the closest planet to the Sun. It’s also an element (abbreviated by Hg) on the periodic table. It’s also the smallest planet and has no atmosphere. I haven’t heard people necessarily put Mercury in the conversation when talking about their favorite planet, but it doesn’t make the planet any less interesting. During day on Mercury it’s scorching hot, while during the night, it’s be freezing cold.

7. Mars

The planets are competitors both in space and in our hearts. PHOTO VIA PIXABAY.

Although the planet isn’t habitable, some people think that Mars is our “second home” in the future. The science fiction movie, “The Martian,” sparked my interest in Mars because it shows that a man could live on the planet, and there are countless forces that make living on Mars difficult. Mars is also mysterious in its own ways. Some say that a long time ago, Mars was a habitable planet, and living things once roamed the planet.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter is known for its size; it’s the largest planet in the solar system by far. Other well known attributes of Jupiter are its swirling clouds and Great Red Spot, a massive storm that may have dominated Jupiter’s southern hemisphere for hundreds of years.

5. Neptune

Most people consider Neptune their favorite planet mainly because of its bright azure-blue color. What most people may not know about Neptune is that it has the fastest winds of the planets. Some of Neptune’s winds may be even faster than the speed of sound.

4. Uranus

Most people pick Uranus as their favorite planet mainly because they find its name funny to say, but there are some other fun facts about Uranus that people could find appealing. For example, Uranus has an extreme axis, almost 90 degrees, with its orbit.

3. Venus

This planet is really interesting because Venus is the only planet to rotate clockwise, while the other planets rotate counterclockwise. Venus has a violent, toxic and torrid weather. It has a similar size and mass of Earth, which is why Venus is considered Earth’s twin sister. There was even a possibility that Venus was once habitable in the past, with bodies of water like Earth. However, the runaway greenhouse effect has made Venus what it is today.

2.5 — Honorable mention: Pluto

Pluto will be the honorable mention on this list. Pluto is now only considered as a dwarf planet because even though it has enough gravity to be round, it does not have enough gravity to clear its orbital path. Other planets’ gravity in our solar system need to help Pluto orbit the Sun. Nonetheless, Pluto is interesting because it’s the farthest object orbiting the Sun and orbits the Sun at a tilt with respect to the plane of the solar system.

2. Saturn

The most appealing take from Saturn is its rings around the planet itself. Even though all the other gas planets have rings, Saturn is the only planet with visible rings. In addition, the planet is known for Saturn’s hexagonal cloud pattern on its north pole.

1. Earth

Like most people, I may be biased when choosing Earth as my top pick. It’s the place we all call home. It’s at the perfect distance from the Sun and has a suitable atmosphere to produce resources for every living thing on the planet.