For hungry college kids who are getting sick of the same old snacks, the key is to use ingredients from the dining hall and snatch on-sale items from the store. To help you step up your dorm room snacking game, here are some recipes with creative names to get you through midterms and stay healthy this semester.

1. Makeshift trail mix
Ingredients: Pretzels, M&M’s, cereal, nuts
When M&M’s are on sale at CVS or the dining hall has them, grab a plastic cup full and load up for the semester.

2. Roommate breakfast
Ingredients: Rice cakes, peanut butter, banana, honey.
This one is pretty self explanatory. You can even switch it up with some almond butter and apple slices.

3. If you’re too cheap to buy M&M’s Ice Cream Cookie sandwiches from the store…
Grab ice cream sandwiches courtesy of the dining hall, drop in a few M&M’s if you’re in luck and roll the edges in them. Any sugary cereal or crushed up leftover candy bars is also welcomed.

4. A crunchy mix
Ingredients: Goldfish, Cheez-Its, pretzels, Chex Mix
If you leave a minuscule amount of your snacks at the bottom of the bag because you’re too sad to tell yourself that you’ve run out, you can mix the crumbs together for a delicious mix.

5. Ball o’ energy
Ingredients: chocolate, peanut butter, oat bites
This one requires a little shopping. Get out some oats, chocolate chips and honey from the store. You’ll also need peanut butter, but let’s be real, we’ll never get through the giant jar that our mother bought us when we moved in. Since most of us don’t have measuring cups on hand, you’ll also have to eyeball the measurements a little bit.

2 1/4 cups of oats

1 cup of peanut butter

1/3 cup of honey

1/3 cup of chocolate chips (you can adjust this to your liking)

Mix all the ingredients together and put it in the fridge for about 10 minutes so they’re easier to roll out. Once the mixture is a bit more solidified, roll those bad boys out and store them in an airtight container. You can just flatten them out onto a plate and cut them, but the rolled shape makes them a bit more appealing.

6. Dorm guac

Guacamole and nachos can make for a fun night in your dorm. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

Ingredients: Two avocados, a clove of garlic, a small purple onion, cilantro, lime
Who doesn’t love some good guacamole? This one can get a little messy but it’s worth it. Try this one if you and your friends want to have a movie night. You can even throw a tomato in there if you want. Chop it all up, throw it in a bowl, give it a good mix and squeeze the lime on the top. Viola, you have yourself some dorm guac!

7. Classic family function of cheese and crackers
You can mix this up with various crackers — Wheat Thins, Triscuits, Pretzel Thins or just regular crackers. Add a little pepper jelly or mustard if you’re feeling fancy.

8. The town fair — baked potato
Ingredients: sweet or regular potato
How convenient that our MicroFridges have a “potato” button! They’re pretty cheap in the produce section, so it’s a good alternative to buying an entire pizza for dinner. Wash it up, put it on a plate and throw it in the microwave for a little bit. In a little under 10 minutes, you’ll have yourself a hot potato, and then it’s time to dig in. If you’re like my roommate (who is a fan of sweet potatoes), throw on some peanut butter and a dash of cinnamon. If you want a regular potato, toss on some sour cream, plain yogurt or even a dash of cheese.

9. Nachos
Ingredients: Tortilla chips, cheese, beans, olives, sour cream, salsa, guac
Who doesn’t love some nachos? It’s a perfect pair with your dorm guac. Toss some tortilla chips on a plate, throw on some cheese, beans and olives, and throw it (not actually) into the microwave. Top with some sour cream, salsa, and guac when they’re done! You can definitely sneak some cheese, olives and beans out of the dining hall, just don’t be a weirdo about it.

10. Frozen grapes
Pretty self-explanatory. They’re a great alternative to ice cream if you’re looking for something to munch on while you study. Wash them, dry them and put them in a resealable plastic bag in the freezer then wait a few hours.

11. Comm Ave. crunch — chocolate bark
Melt some chocolate in a bowl and spread it out onto a sheet of wax paper. Throw on some nuts, pretzels, leftover cereal or dried fruit. A good combination is pretzels and almonds!