Fall is beginning to creep up on us. The weather is getting cooler by the minute, and each day is getting shorter than the last. College students all across the country are beginning to transition from procrastinating by going out to procrastinating by staying in. During this transition from September to October, the norm is to watch horror movies as Halloween comes upon us. However, as a lady who dislikes horror and would actually prefer something with a little more color and joy to ward off seasonal affective disorder, I’m going to offer up some Netflix recommendations that won’t make you want to jump out of your skin (or bed).

1. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

gif via TUMBLR.

gif via TUMBLR.

I have to confess that I typically don’t go for musicals. I’m the kind of person who watches and waits for the musical numbers to stop so the plot can carry on. This movie, however, is so delightful, I dare someone to not fall in love with it. Starring Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell as two best friends, one (Monroe) wants to bag a rich man and the other (Russell) a handsome lad. This movie zips right along with a brilliant glittery warmth that permeates the entire film. It’s bright, fun as hell and the musical numbers are insane in the best possible way.

2. We Are The Best!

gif via TUMBLR.

gif via TUMBLR.

Continuing with the music trend, We Are The Best! follows three Swedish girls and their attempt to start a punk band. If you were the kind of person in middle school who either: A) listened to My Chemical Romance or B) spent a lot of your life inside Hot Topic, then this is the film for you. It proves that the least important thing about punk music is the music itself. The most important thing is the active, reactionary middle finger raised to the rest of the world. It also teaches us that if youre a 13-year-old girl with short hair, thats the thing that might save you above all else.

3. Dazed and Confused

gif via TUMBLR.

gif via TUMBLR.

Yes, this is the film where Matthew McConaughey coined his famous saying “alright, alright, alright,” but that’s honestly the least important thing about this film. This classic follows the last day of high school, and it captures perfectly that aimless translucent feeling of long summer nights. The groups of kids (football players, stoners, intellectual outcasts and cheerleaders) drive around, smoke, drink beers and party with little lasting damage. They do so with a beautiful ease that’s only beautiful because it’s fated to end. It’s the perfect movie to watch when it dips below 50 degrees and you’re longing for summer.

4. To Catch a Thief

gif via BLOGSPOT.

gif via Blogspot user blueiskewl.

I could write a billion words on Cary Grant, but that’s not what you’re here for. He’s what every suit mannequin aspires to be, and Grace Kelly is, you know, Grace Kelly. Kelly here plays a jewelry heiress and Grant plays an ex-thief who is trying to prove his innocence in a new string of heists. It’s exactly as entertaining as it sounds — just watch it!

5. In the Loop

gif via TUMBLR.

gif via TUMBLR.

This comedy comes from the mind of “Veep” creator Armando Iannucci, and it shows in the flexible (and creative) swearing that makes this film. Unfortunately, I can’t quote the majority of it here but I can say that this film does include the line “You stay detached, or else that’s what I’ll do to your retinas.” This exotic cursing emanates from an international semi-fictional depiction of the lead-up to the Iraq War, so I would definitely recommend this film to all the political science majors. I would also recommend this movie to those with any vested interest in either politics or expletives, which are definitely trending topics at the moment, thanks to the 2016 election.