A night out at the theater is the perfect way to do something new with friends and unwind after a long week. Plus, you get some pretty nice discounts if youre a university student. Whether youre a die-hard theater fanatic or just simply curious, the shows hitting Bostons Theater District this season will not disappoint. Starting Tuesday, Boston began its season, which features some well-known favorites such as Wickedand MAMMA MIA!as well as some of the newer shows on Broadway. Not sure what to see? Here are some quick synopses and recommendations for this upcoming season.

1. Jersey Boys

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

Playing Oct. 4 – 16
This Tony- and Grammy-award winning musical is always a popular hit. It tells the story of The Four Seasons, an internationally successful American pop-rock group. Expect lots of old-school music as it is based off of a true story in the 1960s. Jersey Boysshows how the band, comprised of four guys, came to become an American legend. Even if youre not a fan of older, jukebox tunes, Jersey Boysis so acclaimed that any theater lover would enjoy it.

2. Something Rotten!
Playing Jan. 17 – 29
A newer and more lighthearted show, Something Rotten! is a musical about two brothers trying to write a musical. This show will definitely cater to wider audiences as it is a comedy. Filled with silly jokes and flashy costumes, this musical is set in William Shakespeares time but constantly satirizes modern musicals and shows. Definitely check it out if youre looking to laugh. Huzzah!

3. Cabaret

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

Playing Jan. 31 – Feb. 12
Winner of several Tony awards, Cabaretis a Broadway classic. Its definitely on the more serious side, as it takes place in 1930s Berlin and tells the story of a troubled romance. If youve seen the movie, then you know that it definitely has some mature and dark themes. However, it has the famous Cabarettheme song and is an iconic Broadway musical.

4. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Playing March 7 – 19
After winning five Tony Awards last year, I recommend you see this even if youre not a fan of musicals. The show surrounds an autistic boy who tries to solve the mystery behind the death of his neighbors dog while exploring his relationship with his parents. I would really recommend this if youre looking for something heartfelt and enjoyable, without the constant singing.

5. The King and I

PHOTO VIA FLICKR.

PHOTO VIA FLICKR.

Playing Apr. 11- 23
Many people are probably familiar with the movie or at least the basic story of The King and I. Put simply, its about the relationship between a strict Bangkok king and a British schoolteacher. I definitely feel that everyone would enjoy this, despite age or experience with Broadway. Also, the music is amazing and filled with many recognizable favorites.

5. MAMMA MIA!
Playing May 30 – June 4
Similar to the The King and I, most have probably seen the movie remake with Meryl Streep. The live musical is actually so much better and therefore, a must-see. With so many characters and relationships, you will not get bored watching this. Also, who wouldnt want to hear Dancing Queenlive?

6. Wicked

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

Playing June 7 – July 23
If youre into The Wizard of Oz or are a fan of its soundtrack, then youll definitely love Wicked. It tells the story of life before Dorothy, focusing on Glinda and The Wicked Witch of the West. This is definitely a fan-favorite and even people who dont typically watch theater end up enjoying this. I would say this is a safe bet for theater-goers, new and old.

7. Finding Neverland
Playing Aug. 8 – 20
Similar to Wicked, Finding Neverland is a spin-off of a beloved tale. Well, kind of. It is about the life of the creator behind Peter Pan, J.M. Barrie. Its super interesting to see how parts of Peter Pan parallel his own life. Fun fact: a younger Johnny Depp stars as J.M. Barrie in the film version of this. Still fairly new to Broadway, this one is great for all ages and has some pretty great songs and set design.