Adulting is hard. No one likes it, but we all have to do it. You will survive, I promise, and you’ll feel so empowered once you get a better grip of the real world. Hopefully, you have some awesome friends to embark upon this journey through hell with you and help you through all of the ups and downs.

1. When you check your bank account after a weekend out.

This is the worst thing that can happen to any person ever. No one should be forced to see that you have $4.78 to your name. When you’re in charge of your own finances, you’ll soon realize your $10 an hour job just isn’t going to cover your lifestyle.

2. You can eat whatever you want.

Seems great, right? Wrong. You’ll soon realize your diet of pizza and fries is catching up with you. Maybe mom was right. Salads aren’t the worst thing ever, but sizing out of your favorite jeans just might be.

3. You have to cook for yourself.

Once you start to realize that eating out is unhealthy and far too expensive, you have to give yourself a serious reality check. Home-cooked meals are no more, so break out that frying pan and learn how to use that stovetop. There are plenty of simple recipes out there and we have a few here to start you off. Cereal and microwave meals may be your future, but keep trying — you’ll move up to the big stove one day.

4. You have to clean up after yourself (and sometimes others).

The never-ending pile of dishes, the painful realization that showers aren’t self cleaning and keeping your room from becoming a danger zone are all issues you must face now. No one is going to clean up your messes and if you like a clean space, you may end up cleaning up after everyone else.

5. The dread of laundry.

Life is a constant battle of climbing over the mountain of filth you’ve created and building the courage to drag it to the laundromat. It’s a hassle, but do yourself a favor and keep it clean. If you really can’t figure it out, there are plenty of services to help you help yourself.

6. Self-diagnosing your every ailment.

Who needs a licensed medical doctor when you have WebMD? Show your friends what’s hurting you. Ask Google. Hell, just ignore it — if it’s that serious, you’ll figure it out soon enough. Should I even ask the last time you saw a dentist?

7. There is no time for fun.

You’re working, taking classes and trying to get that 4.0 GPA or internship experience. You’re also trying to balance clubs on campus, hit the gym and maintain “functional human being” status. Simply said — free time doesn’t exist anymore.

8. The stress of moving in on Allston Christmas.

Allston Christmas is very much a thing. There’s a boundless amount of trash, broken furniture on the sidewalk and mattresses propped up against trees. The traffic is infinite. The parking is nonexistent. It’s truly an experience you don’t want to repeat, but you do, every Sept. 1.